If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #94092  by TexasJay

I have a few questions pertaining to getting my CCDW.

Question 1: I had a little run in with NJ 5-0 about a year and a half ago (I was 20) I didn't know you had to be 21 to gamble (I put 2 bucks in a slot machine). So 2 dollars in a slot machine turned into $2000 in fines and such. Supposedly my lawyer convinced them to not put it on my record since it was my first offense (not even a speeding ticket). Will this put me at any risk to not getting a CCDW?

Question 2: as a college student, I am always on a budget. Who does the lowest cost, best quality training in Delaware? (my gf lives in dover so I'd drive as far south as that for training). The best bang for my buck so to speak.
 #94095  by SCUBA9097

TexasJay wrote:I have a few questions pertaining to getting my CCDW.

Question 1: I had a little run in with NJ 5-0 about a year and a half ago (I was 20) I didn't know you had to be 21 to gamble (I put 2 bucks in a slot machine). So 2 dollars in a slot machine turned into $2000 in fines and such. Supposedly my lawyer convinced them to not put it on my record since it was my first offense (not even a speeding ticket). Will this put me at any risk to not getting a CCDW?
Start by obtaining a copy of your criminal history. I've seen quite a few times where people were told "it won't show up" but are surprised when they run their own criminal history.
TexasJay wrote:Question 2: as a college student, I am always on a budget. Who does the lowest cost, best quality training in Delaware? (my gf lives in dover so I'd drive as far south as that for training). The best bang for my buck so to speak.
While I can fully appreciate working on a budget, training is one area where you get what you pay for. In this particular case, what you paying for may one day decide your fate or even whether you survive an encounter. Lowest cost / best quality often do not go hand-in-hand and as we have seen, there are quite a few instructors out there who do not teach what and how they should.

Think of it this way, if I offered you a choice between two parachutes, would you choose the cheapest of the two? Firearms training really is no different. We all hope that we never have to use it, but if we do, we want the best available. In my opinion, it is worth skipping a few meals out or whatever you have to do. Above all else, find yourself a course that you have confidence in.
 #94097  by TexasJay

How do I go about obtaining this record? And if it is on there, would that be cause for rejection?

I understand that. I have had other training before and will soon have more (I'm going into the military). I train with friends (police and military friends) and I compete. This I would be doing to satisfy Delaware requirements for CCDW. I don't mean that I'm going to cheap out on training, I just can't afford the $400 the guy at the gun show was wanting to charge. I'd be more comfortable on the $150-$200 range. If I can't get the required training for that then I'm not sure I want it.
 #94112  by Boots

TexasJay wrote:... I just can't afford the $400 the guy at the gun show was wanting to charge. ....
I don't blame you.
Here is one you can check out (among others)...

https://centerfiredefense.com/
 #94123  by Bullpup

TexasJay, I used Omega Firearms Training. They were reasonably priced and very knowledgeable.
 #94160  by TexasJay

Thanks for all the responses! But no one has answered my question, will my history of citation for underage gambling affect me getting a CCDW? I'd rather not apply and wait until I move to a shall issue state than risk a denial
 #94161  by photog

Were you ever convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, or neither? As I read your original post, you were not. As long as you were not convicted of anything, you should be just fine... moving or traffic violations, (as long as not DUI/DWI, eluding police, etc.) will have no bearing.

As for a instructor charging $400. for CCDW training... that is a ripoff. Classes typically go for $150. to $250. Just keep in mind what SCUBA9097 stated, (his analogy is spot on) ..... cost should not determine your choice of classes, cheaper is not always better....

Hope that answers your questions Sir!

Have a nice day!
photog
 #94163  by SCUBA9097

TexasJay wrote:Thanks for all the responses! But no one has answered my question, will my history of citation for underage gambling affect me getting a CCDW? I'd rather not apply and wait until I move to a shall issue state than risk a denial
You more than likely haven't received an answer because the answer really isn't cut and dry.

Delaware is a "may issue" state and the way the law is written, the Judge can deny you for *any* reason he sees fit. Case in point: a number of years ago (1989ish) I had a friend who was denied. The photo he supplied wasn't the most "clean cut". So he cut his hair, made sure he was clean shaven, put on a nice shirt and tie and re-submitted his application. On his second attempt, he was approved. The only thing that was any different was the photo.

Not too long ago (relatively), we had a member here who was denied due to a notation on his record which had nothing to do with any criminal activity. Luckily, the Judges who are currently sitting are pretty agreeable for the most part.

Like I had recommended before, your first step would be to contact the Delaware State Police and obtain a copy of your criminal record to see what it shows.