If you're applying for your CCDW and wish to track your progress or, if you have questions about applying for a Delaware CCDW, post here.
 #95721  by Gotarheels03

Just recently ran my ad, and not a single person contacted me or said anything about it (other than a few training places, as already noted here)

I know there are a few anti's at the firm where I work, yet no one said anything, which is good. Still, tell anyone from other states, even MD, about the newspaper requirement and they're shocked that we have to do something so completely asinine.
 #95807  by California_Exile

I wonder about this too. I was the victim of a home burglary in which the bad guys broke open my gun cabinet and stole some handguns. That was about four years after I ran the ad for my CCDW in the News Journal, and I'd moved in the interim, but I have a relatively uncommon surname, so I've been suspicious that somebody put two and two together.

And really, in the age of Google, you've got to imagine some criminal someday is going to be smart enough to compile that list.

Now, putting on my lawyer hat: The newspaper requirement is completely asinine, and as far as I know Delaware is the only state that requires it; plenty of states with which we have reciprocity don't. (It's especially asinine given that the state Freedom of Information Act prohibits disclosure of the names and addresses of CCDW permit holders, except to the cops.) I looked up the statutory history, and publication has been part of the statute for as long as there's been a license requirement to carry a concealed weapon, i.e., since 1911. Maybe, arguably, in 1911, that was a reasonable substitute for a background check. In the age of fingerprint databases, Brady checks and (especially) easily accessible Google archives of newspaper classifieds for the last few decades, it's ridiculous and a hazard to public safety.
 #95856  by spillanej

myopicvisionary wrote:If I was going to break into a home looking to steal firearm, I would not pick the address of a CCDW applicant. Odds are that he is a more proficient shooter than the run of the mill gun owner. Walk down any street and odds are that multiple homes there contain firearms.
I do completely disagree. I know many CCDW holders who take their basic course and never train with a professional instructor again. The issue is the middle of the day pros who watch and plan.. who strike when no one is home by backing a moving truck up to your house and taking everything, even your forks and knives. If you own more than one gun... chances are there is one at home most of the time you are not.