Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #105439  by rosco87

Been around. I have a large ammo can filled with MRE's for long term food storage. not too mention perishables that would be consumed first. The day after the storms we had, we lost power which is rare for my house. i used my marine battery and converter to power a lamp and charge cell phones, which my wife never understood why i bought those things until i finally showed her why by using them lol. she was glad to have a lamp instead of a million candles lit. i love the idea of getting a deuce, georgie i seen yours before and it is sweet! im currenlty with a group now that is getting into reloading and hopefully my connection for $40 boxes of MRE's becomes available again. we are however always looking for more people to help. we are in works to if the SHTF link up with a group that has land out in the PA/OH area. if anyone would like more info on the group PM me. Also anyone around here look into the "Oathkeepers" they are a great group, that just a training session on disaster preparedness and covered alot of topics.
 #105481  by georgie c

this might sound like a dumb question , but is anyone investing in extra firearms as a means of barter for the future? I picked up a couple of those really nice highpoints in .380 at cabala's $119 each . actually they don't look as bad as I expected , also picked up a Mossberg 715p looks like the bad little full autos you see on t.v . but its just a .22 - $ 249
 #105485  by rosco87

Never thought of it but that would be a GREAT barter tool. Could get a lot of supplies for something like that! My barter would be alcohol, if I was gonna buy anything to keep for trade....you can keep it for a long time and you can always find someone who wants a drink
 #105486  by stephpd

The question would be would you trust the person you're trading with to not use the gun on you to get all you have? I could see having some food or something to trade but I'd prefer not to trade something that could get me killed.

Besides which a firearm, plus it's ammo, are already a high priced item. What could they possibly have to trade that's worth that much and you 'need'?
 #105487  by Kuntryboy816

stephpd wrote:The question would be would you trust the person you're trading with to not use the gun on you to get all you have? I could see having some food or something to trade but I'd prefer not to trade something that could get me killed.

Besides which a firearm, plus it's ammo, are already a high priced item. What could they possibly have to trade that's worth that much and you 'need' ...that you couldn't take with your own firearm since they don't have one...?
Just to expound a little.... Might be a good idea to stash those cheaper firearms as backups in case your primary/secondary is somehow damaged beyond repair.
 #105488  by stephpd

I'd never suggest taking what others have just because you have a gun and they don't. I also don't assume the reciprocal applies to others.

And I do have backup guns and ammo. And backups for them.
 #105489  by georgie c

good point roscoe. cheep vodka will always be in demand and the person you barter with can't use it against you because the bottle is plastic :P
 #105490  by Kuntryboy816

stephpd wrote:I'd never suggest taking what others have just because you have a gun and they don't. I also don't assume the reciprocal applies to others.

And I do have backup guns and ammo. And backups for them.
I am, of course, referring to post-apocolyptic survival situations. Preps are great but they will not last forever and you must do what you must to survive... which may come down to taking what you need.. by force if necessary. :|
 #105500  by rosco87

If SHTF im going west no need to be stuck around here where natural resources will be used up quite quickly. And any areas that are away from the city will become overran as well. The population is too dense around here to support it. Id say a 3 day kit per person would be sufficient to get out of dodge, as long as there is ample warning. Id suggesta 5 day kit at least!
 #105553  by georgie c

new additions to food prep. caned butter, caned bacon and caned cheese . yum yum