Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #107995  by whatevah

FYI, the 3 emergency rooms owned by Christiana Care (Christiana and Wilmington Hospital, and the freestanding Middletown ER) will be installing metal detectors at the entrances this summer. It's really a surprise that it's taken this long for it to happen, especially at Christiana since it's one of the busiest trauma centers in the country.

I'll inquire if there is a "check" process where they can keep a handgun secure for you in the building vs leaving it in the car. There is already a safe to store weapons found on patients brought in by ambulance, but I don't know what the plan will be.
 #108004  by whatevah

Amy Blackthorn wrote:I wonder if they'll install them at the main entrance as well
I doubt it, they really don't have staffing for that.
 #109179  by whatevah

several months behind schedule... they've announced on the employee homepage that they'll start screening anyone entering the 3 EDs for weapons on December 12th.

There's a note... "Weapons that are confiscated will be secured by Public Safety. Legally possessed items will be returned to the owner upon departure. Illegal items will be turned over to the local police." So, I suppose that you could "check" your weapon(s) with security so you don't have to be unarmed between your car and the lobby.
 #109181  by David

Who's going to define legally possessed? They going to run a felony check on everyone who comes through the door OC? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
 #109182  by MrCoolDale

David wrote:Who's going to define legally possessed? They going to run a felony check on everyone who comes through the door OC? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
They are probably talking about obviously illegal items, not necessarily checking if you can legally possess the item. If you walk in with a kilo of cocaine and an automatic uzi, they can be fairly sure that you are not legal in your possession of those items.

I could be wrong, I'm just guessing.
 #109184  by whatevah

David wrote:Who's going to define legally possessed? They going to run a felony check on everyone who comes through the door OC? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
They do have access to the law enforcement databases as constables, so it's possible that they could run your name. Might help out WPD with some of their open cases... :D If you think about it, if they gave a weapon back to a felon or wanted person and he then shot somebody in the parking lot, you'd see a swarm of lawyers arrive within seconds.
 #109185  by GatorDude

Is this another one of those "solutions without a problem"? Have there been any shootings inside of any of Christiana's ED's that don't involve the police?
 #109187  by whatevah

GatorDude wrote:Is this another one of those "solutions without a problem"? Have there been any shootings inside of any of Christiana's ED's that don't involve the police?
This is Wilmington, not Mayberry... Christiana Hospital sees shooting victims almost every day, most of which were NOT police-involved. Some of them are drop-off or walk-in that didn't even involve a 911 call. Wilmington didn't get the "murdertown" name just as a joke. There is a legitimate risk of retaliation or "finish the job" attempts. As it is now, whenever there is a shooting patient (or other violence like knives or such), they put the ED entrance on lockdown and wand every person coming in. This upgrades the process by moving it indoors and streamlined. There have been incidents where psych patients have pulled knives on staff.

You can't go into any busy ED in Chester or Philly without going through a metal detector... Even AI Dupont has metal detectors in their ED. This is just Christiana Care catching up with the times.