Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #110934  by CorBon

pick_six wrote:Being reported on several sites.

Apparently ammo too.

Isn't age a protected class? Any lawyers?
Basically, folks over forty are in a protected class — for employment.

It’s only a matter of time, though, when they finally realize that most twenty-one-year-olds are also dumber than a box of rocks, and make equally poor decisions as the eighteen-year-olds.
 #110935  by Kuntryboy816

It's also only a matter of time before an 18 year old gets denied and turns around and sues one of these places (there is a gun shop somewhere doing the same). Here is an interesting read I found earlier...

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/02/28/ca ... rifles-and
 #110951  by SCUBA9097

When I was doing the interview and site visit to get my FFL, the ATF agent made it very clear that a FFL can deny or cancel a sale to anyone for any reason, even if that reason cannot be articulated.

It will be interesting to see how these lawsuits will turn out, especially considering that this age bracket isn't a protected class.

Does anyone remember the end result when that FFL refused sales to either muslim or middle eastern people? I remember the media going nuts over it and a potential lawsuit, but I can't recall the disposition.
 #110954  by Owen

I stopped shopping at Dicks after the last time they stopped selling ARs.

I also avoid Walmart as I personally feel they are a race to the bottom for retailers. I am old enough to remember when Walmart started and proclaimed "buy american" but we all know how that turned out after Sam Walton died. Sad really because if they would have stuck with that maybe we'd have developed US based suppliers of inexpensive goods instead of Chinese.

My philosophy is "vote with my dollars" where I can.
 #110956  by pick_six

From Oregon. The place where bakers are sued for discrimination.

Would be fitting for wal-dicks to suffer the same fate. The bakers we basically driven out of business.

Probably won't happen to either of these.

It sounds like 18-20 is specifically recognised as legal ages to purchase under state law.

Scuba, I am thinking the reason for the "even if you can't articulate it" was to keep you from saying you wouldn't sell to a "protected class" and have you say something with the same result, but not be sue-able. (Probably obvious to all....)
 #110958  by Owen

Dick's is from NY: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick%27s_Sporting_Goods

Walmart is from Arkansas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Walmart

EDIT: Never mind, I see that the Oregon reference is to the 20 yr old suing Dicks and Walmart. Interesting he's suing under a state anti age discrimination law. :oops:
 #110960  by SCUBA9097

pick_six wrote:Scuba, I am thinking the reason for the "even if you can't articulate it" was to keep you from saying you wouldn't sell to a "protected class" and have you say something with the same result, but not be sue-able. (Probably obvious to all....)
Actually, the way it was described to me was that it was protection against someone making a straw purchase that had "practiced their lines" prior to coming in to make the purchase. I was told that if something felt "off", I could terminate the transaction at any point without repercussion.

I'm sure if a FFL has a history of declining 95% of their Asian clients and a 2% rate of declining other races, they would, and should, have quite a bit of explaining to do.