Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #750  by dave_in_delaware

Here's the online ad:
http://www.geocities.com/gunshowadds/gunshows?200823

From what I'm told, it's nothing like the Philly show, but at least it's local. I've never been to it, so I might go and check it out.

It's at the Nur Temple, just north of the 13/40 split, past the little car dealership and Econo Lodge. Northbound side of Route 13.

198 South DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720

Link to satellite imagery:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll= ... 2&t=k&z=17
The backwards "L" is the Econo Lodge. The Nur Temple driveway is just past that little tiny building in the center of the photo.
 #753  by radnor

I can't say that, I bough my 1187 there. But, this was BEFORE I went to the one at KoP in PA.
 #754  by dave_in_delaware

I'm sure there are bigger and better ones around here. I've been to the one in Philly at the National Guard Armory. That one is huge and has a bunch of great stuff to see. I bought my Savage and my Mosin at the Philly shows.

But for $5, I'll go at least once and see what it's like.
 #755  by radnor

Never been to the one at the NG Armory. I would like to see it sometime. I like the one at the convention center in KoP.
 #759  by dave_in_delaware

The Philly NG Armory one is pretty cool. There are 400 tables IIRC. Guns, ammo, manuals, knives, accessories, reloading stuff.... The next time they're having it is:

May 24-25
Aug 16-17
Nov 8-9

The website w/ a few photos:
http://newsite.appalachianpromotions.co ... x?tabid=59
 #764  by myopicvisionary

Sure, it's not as good as the Philly show. But if we don't keep shows coming locally, then they stop being normal business and become something out of the norm(and thus bad to the sheep). I don't mind the admission fee as I almost always end up leaving with a purchase that saved me more than the door cost me!
 #792  by Wynder

So, I just got back from the gunshow with LordJim after meeting up with him and GoTarHeels for a few rounds at he range. It was small -- like Jim said, "At a gun show I expected there to be more... guns."

Heh!

In any case, I did have a little exchange with one of the people there. We were at the table on the left (some gun shop from Lewes) when you come in and I was showing Jim a Sigma that they had, had him trying the trigger, etc to see how horrid I had it "back in the day". When a guy (carrying a 1911) came over and said in a very stern, authoritative voice, "Don't dry fire the weapon."

I thought it rather odd and shrugged as I pulled back the slide to reinsert the orange plastic safety stop when he had to open his mouth again, "It damages the weapon."

My head reeled, "This is designed to be dry fired, you know that, right?" I told him The look on his face was priceless -- I don't know if it was because he thought I didn't know anything or if it was simply because no one had ever talked back to him because he was open carrying his pistol as most gun store employees do (I was as well ;p)...

He said, "Well, when you purchase the weapon, you can dry fire it." To which I replied, "And you can explain that -- I respect that, but don't spread misinformation." I put the weapon back in the case, shook my head and left.

:censored:

Oy.
 #793  by LordJim

My head reeled, "This is designed to be dry fired, you know that, right?" I told him The look on his face was priceless -- I don't know if it was because he thought I didn't know anything or if it was simply because no one had ever talked back to him because he was open carrying his pistol as most gun store employees do (I was as well ;p)...
Funny that you mentioned this. On my way back I was thinking that I should have piped up and asked exactly why it was a bad idea to dry fire a modern pistol. I've found that often time that people don't have an answer beyond "because it's bad". Either way the guy was a jerk.

-
Jim
 #795  by myopicvisionary

Dry firing is really only harmful to most rimfires and some older shotguns. Even some modern rimfires are safe to drop the hammer on an empty chamber. My Ruger MkIII is OK to drop the hammer on when empty. Most though will have the chamber mouth damaged by the firing pin when dry fired. Brownell's sells this cool tool called a chamber iron which is made to repair exactly this damage.