Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #916  by bms429

Was reading on glocktalk this morning on the bus ride in and saw a post on having some drinks while CC. I guess this applies to OC as well. Does anyone know the LAW not opinion on this subject. The persons logic was that he likes to have a glass or 2 of wine when he gets home yet that he does not wish to voluntarily disarm. so, does anyone know any law regarding this?

edit: link to site and post http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869065
 #920  by Wynder

As far as I know and from the law I've read, there's not line correlation drawn between carrying a firearm and drinking or having a certain BAC.
 #923  by bms429

Thanks for the reply wynder. Just for the record...I do not advocated getting drunk while carrying nor do I condone approaching legal limit, however, I feel that withing reason you should be able to enjoy a beer or 2 or 3 (over time) while carrying. Responsibility and moderation are key.
 #926  by Wynder

I'm one for alcohol abstinence when it comes to carrying... I don't read a paper or even keep my iPod with me -- anything that could or has the potential reduce your situational awareness is a no-no for me.
 #929  by Sprat

concealed only
I have here in delaware, I had four beers over a course of two hours then walked back to my hotel room, that was the first year of recipocity with Florida, I have had a beer in Pa at a applebee's with my lunch, a few years back.
three weeks ago on my way driving back to Florida I stopped in a Beer garden in North Carolina on foot going back to my hotel room I had three beers in two hours then left only to note a sign I missed that said No weapons, Colors( biker's), or drugs allowed. oh well

I am a big boy at 50yrs plus, if you don't know me please don't make value judgements about me
sprat
 #940  by myopicvisionary

I have to be really careful drinking while out. With my CDL-A driver's license, the BAC limit is .04, regardless of what vehicle I'm driving. For the most part, I don't drink while OCing. I am concerned with the image I project to the sheep when I am armed.
 #942  by bms429

Thanks to those of you who replied. I feel that during OC one should be mindful of the image you are portraying. Dont want the sheeple to think we are a bunch of cowboys.
 #950  by Wynder

bms429 wrote:Thanks to those of you who replied. I feel that during OC one should be mindful of the image you are portraying. Dont want the sheeple to think we are a bunch of cowboys.
Well put.
 #1127  by dave_in_delaware

As far as the law is concerned, I have not come across anything that clearly prohibits alcohol consumption and the handling/carrying firearms. Face it: you can enter a bar/pub/alcohol-serving restaurant armed, AND order a beer or drink.

Common sense must enter the picture obviously.... intoxication AND loaded firearms are definitely NO combination anyone wants to deal with. And when an explanation of the two combined is necessary (say, to the police), ignorance and/or stupidity is NOT a reason or excuse.

BUT, like others have said, I tend to worry about the "image" I portray when carrying. The sheep don't want their sheepdogs all liquored up and unable to defend the flock (and even worse - being a threat to the flock itself). I believe drinking alcohol while armed would give those of us that OC a bad reputation, and in return, OCing by anyone (other than the police) a bad reputation. We're trying to educate the public to OC and how good it is. They'll resist the idea even more if they see us drinking alcoholic beverages. And the News Jurnal would jump all over that!

This is a choice I make when eating out. I typically get iced tea when out-and-about AND armed. Not because it's against the law, but because I want to stay in control of my senses at all times.

I'm not going to jump on anyone if they choose to drink while carrying. It is lawful to do, just like OCing is. This post was strictly my personal opinion on the subject. YMMV.

At home on your private property is a different matter. I'm just talking about public appearances.
 #1133  by stephpd

Good replies everyone. Image is crucial.

It's legal to drink. It's legal to open carry.
The two don't go together well for some.
Anything over 1 drink or beer per hour can put you near or over the level.

My advice, if you choose to do both and find yourself up against the law.
Dummy up.
Get a lawyer.
Best of luck.