Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #1014  by myopicvisionary

I could only get through three pages before stopping out of fear of throwing up! it's a good thing I have very little reason to ever go to Philadelphia!
 #1032  by dave_in_delaware

I read up through page 8 of that Philly Police thread. Wow. Just.... wow.

That reinforces my beliefs about most cops (or LEO's, or whatever). Respect is something that is earned; it can be lost really fast, too.

I lived in Philthydelphia for 6 years (including many summers) while attending college. I saw a lot of bad things there. And I've been through many BAD neighborhoods and in abandoned crack houses, and lived to tell about it (it makes any "ghetto" here in Delaware look timid). Yes, the LEO's in Philly have a really tough job....

But to attack the original poster and call him a j/o, tell him he's compensating for something, and the other names that were used.. well... just amazing. I just lost even more respect for the "cops" in Philthydelphia.

I'm going to shut up now, before my IP address is saved. LMAO.
 #1033  by stephpd

For all the disgusting stuff I read there I did take some comfort that at least a couple of LEO's were on that board and were willing to correct the 'cop's' about the law.

What I can't understand is all the foul language that is allowed on that board. I checked the forum rules and they are similar to most boards. They said several times that it's 'their' place to blow off steam. I think they might want to either make the board totally private or rethink about blowing off steam were we all can see how they really think.

A couple even came over to the PAFAO site and used the same language. Quickly banned but not deleted. Talk about lack of discipline and lack of respect. What a shame.
 #1084  by Wynder

Looking at this from a higher level...

It's the mindset of the officers that really gets me -- they honestly think they're fighting a war against... well, what? Crime? Drugs? Gun violence? And the thing is, if it's always an "Us vs. Them" mentality, they're never going to recreate the ties needed with the community to get the cooperation needed and rebuild the relationship to improve the city.

I think the language and disrespect is a large part of that issue... if they're only "serve and protect" as they say and not mingling a little "serve and respect" in there as well, they're not going to make any progress.
 #1085  by bms429

Wynder wrote:Looking at this from a higher level...

It's the mindset of the officers that really gets me -- they honestly think they're fighting a war against... well, what? Crime? Drugs? Gun violence? And the thing is, if it's always an "Us vs. Them" mentality, they're never going to recreate the ties needed with the community to get the cooperation needed and rebuild the relationship to improve the city.

I think the language and disrespect is a large part of that issue... if they're only "serve and protect" as they say and not mingling a little "serve and respect" in there as well, they're not going to make any progress.

great wording or im just so tired still from the weekend that anything sounds like Shakespeare to me right now. I agree with you that it seems like they are saying one thing and wanting another.