Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #1803  by cappilot06

As a Delaware resident, I believe I am still allowed to OC into PA. Am I correct on this?

I am going to a wedding in Kennett Square tomorrow, and was going to OC. Don't want to freak the guests out though, so will just lock the sucker up while i'm outside sweating my nuts off.

At least there's free beer!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pbjtime:
 #1805  by stephpd

Open carry is legal in PA. Carrying in a car requires a LTCF. That different then DE. In DE you can keep the loaded gun on the passenger seat or dash and no permit required. If in PA you must have a LTCF to carry a loaded gun in the car. Otherwise it must be locked up and separate from the ammo.

Philly, like Dover, requires the LTCF to open carry.

So yes, you can open carry but their transport laws are different.
 #1812  by cappilot06

Glad I asked that question! Don't want to get arrested on the way up there...then again jail might be cooler than being outside :lol:

As soon as my CCDW comes through I'm going to apply for the PA LTCF.

Thanks again!
 #1821  by Wynder

stephpd wrote:Open carry is legal in PA. Carrying in a car requires a LTCF. That different then DE. In DE you can keep the loaded gun on the passenger seat or dash and no permit required. If in PA you must have a LTCF to carry a loaded gun in the car. Otherwise it must be locked up and separate from the ammo.

Philly, like Dover, requires the LTCF to open carry.

So yes, you can open carry but their transport laws are different.
As I understand it, even if your weapon is cased and unloaded, unless you're traveling to a destination like your home, a target range or a different state, it's still illegal.
§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
This is the general warning from PAFOA and no one has yet been a test case for it yet, so be careful.
As soon as my CCDW comes through I'm going to apply for the PA LTCF.
http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp :)
 #1823  by cappilot06

I'm not even going to risk it until I get the LTCF for PA. I wasn't quite sure what the law was up there. Could have looked it up, but figured you guys would know.

Thanks for the info!
 #1824  by Wynder

cappilot06 wrote:I'm not even going to risk it until I get the LTCF for PA. I wasn't quite sure what the law was up there. Could have looked it up, but figured you guys would know.

Thanks for the info!
You definitely still should, even if we know it -- always confirm for yourself. ;) So, here you go and, bear in mind, that with Philly's new laws, the Uniform Firearms Act of Pennsylvania is no longer... Uniform.

http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm
 #1848  by cappilot06

You are absolutely correct, and I started looking last night before I found your post with the link. Who knows what laws the LEO's up there will decide to try to enforce first and ask questions later. Not even worth it for me right now. Even with the LTCF, and some of the stories of heard about OC'ing in PA, it might not be as "comfortable" to OC as it is here in DE.
 #1863  by Wynder

cappilot06 wrote:You are absolutely correct, and I started looking last night before I found your post with the link. Who knows what laws the LEO's up there will decide to try to enforce first and ask questions later. Not even worth it for me right now. Even with the LTCF, and some of the stories of heard about OC'ing in PA, it might not be as "comfortable" to OC as it is here in DE.
I'd actually feel MORE comfortable carrying in PA, simply because they have a GREAT law that we do not:
§ 5301. Official oppression.

A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if, knowing that his conduct is illegal, he:

1. subjects another to arrest, detention, search, seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or other infringement of personal or property rights; or
2. denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.