Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #66  by Mr. Bruce

I for one would like to somehow change things I don't like about laws/policies/views on guns in Delaware. I would like to know if anyone else is interested in doing this same kind of thing. I was thinking maybe getting organized or working together to get things accomplished. Maybe we could set a goal at first and work on changing one thing. Brainstorm, break up tasks and work as a team to change things, (or keep them from getting worse). I think the illegal park law would be a great thing to start with. If anyone is interested or has any ideas for me..... I'm listening. I'm open to any suggestions or opinions.
 #68  by Mr. Bruce

For instance.... would I write a letter to Chris Coons, The County Executive?
 #83  by Wynder

If you look in the News/Press Releases, I actually drafted up a press release with the help of the guys over at OCDO. I plan on doing one last revisions before releasing it; however, since it's a New Castle County thing, you'd need to find out who your New Castle County Council person is and write them... I got fairly far with mine until it seems as though the County lawyer indicated it might not be high priority.

One of the reasons I wanted to have us here is so that we would be able to focus on these issues and be able to make a combined concerted effort to start email/letter writing campaigns to our legislators. It's only through this and releasing news to the media that we'll get these issues resolved, but I think it's grand that you're on the same track here, Bruce..

Are there other issues that you're looking to have changes?

Lastly, I'll post how to determine who your county councilperson is as a sticky on the General Forums.
 #94  by Mr. Bruce

I picked the new castle county law to start with because you have done some legwork, it seemed important to others here, and I think ( I stress THINK) it would be a relatively easy accomplishment if we all worked together to get it repealed. I think as a start it could get the ball rolling and it would be something we could try working together on.

Well I think one of my dream goals would be to make DE a shall issue state. While I'm dreaming I might as well shoot for the moon, huh?
 #95  by Wynder

Mr. Bruce wrote:I picked the new castle county law to start with because you have done some legwork, it seemed important to others here, and I think ( I stress THINK) it would be a relatively easy accomplishment if we all worked together to get it repealed. I think as a start it could get the ball rolling and it would be something we could try working together on.

Well I think one of my dream goals would be to make DE a shall issue state. While I'm dreaming I might as well shoot for the moon, huh?
FYI, I posted the sticky on how to find your county councilperson in this forum topic.

Yeah, it was up in 2006 -- folks thought it was a sure thing, almost to complacency... but the Brady Bunch came in and turned enough votes to have it fail. That's a great goal; however, it will take all of the gun-owning constituents we can find in Delaware to make it happen.
 #96  by Mr. Bruce

I used the sticky info to find my county councilman. Thanks for the help Wynder. I have sent him an e-mail with my concerns and asked him to please repeal the code about the parks. I will update the forum when I get a reply. I urge anyone else who lives or walks in county parks to please find who their councilman is and send them an e-mail as well.
 #108  by Jeff the Baptist

If we're going to get into serious activism on a state-wide level, we should probably coordinate with the Delaware State Sportsman's Association (DSSA). They're the folks responsible for getting the state constitutional amendment that recognizes the right to keep and bear arms and statewide firearms preemption.
 #109  by Wynder

Jeff the Baptist wrote:If we're going to get into serious activism on a state-wide level, we should probably coordinate with the Delaware State Sportsman's Association (DSSA). They're the folks responsible for getting the state constitutional amendment that recognizes the right to keep and bear arms and statewide firearms preemption.
I agree completely.
 #132  by Mr. Bruce

I heard back from our county councilman.....

"Dear Bruce,
Thanks for contacting me on this issue. I had gotten another similar request. After looking into this, you and the other writer are correct that this is a conflict in county code with state law. I had our attorneys look into it quickly and need to have them do much more research and draft some legis to correct this error.
As I had written the other writer and will also let you know that I will work on this issue as soon as we get over our budget issues and have the time freed up to ask our staff to start to work on this.
As you are most likely aware this has been on the books for a long time. Our police force is aware of it now too.
Please note I will work on this issue as soon as the budget id over and we have some free time. I am sure you can imagine something like this will be a large pill to swallow for some?
Thanks again and Please check back with me later,
Regards,
Dave"

Interesting that is would be a large pill to swallow for some. Wonder if I can not pay my taxes next year because they would also be a large pill to swallow as well? I DO like the fact that he says the police force has been notified.
 #134  by Wynder

Mr. Bruce wrote:I had our attorneys look into it quickly and need to have them do much more research and draft some legis to correct this error.
All they need to do is remove the possession of firearms phrase -- the regulation of discharge and prohibition of other weapons is legal.
As you are most likely aware this has been on the books for a long time. Our police force is aware of it now too.
All the more reason for it to be taken care of swiftly.
I am sure you can imagine something like this will be a large pill to swallow for some?
Not at large as the pill where if someone IS stopped because they have a firearm and the police find $5,000 worth of coke on the search incident to arrest and they have to let the guy go because the arrest was illegal.
I DO like the fact that he says the police force has been notified.
I'm interested to know how -- Bill Tackett is my councilman, too and I'm the other person who made the request... We must be fairly close neighbors. :) This really does annoy me that his Democratic side is showing.