Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #83545  by bmel17

I've been looking at two EDC pocket flashlights. Olight i3s and the streamlight micro stream. Links to products:

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/produc ... ml?pid=144

http://www.olightworld.com/en/products_ ... CateId=104

Both are great, the olight is brighter, but the streamlight lasts longer. I was just wondering if any of our other resident flashlight experts had input as to which they would choose and why. Main thing for me is I'm looking for something that isn't too bulky that will fit in my pocket and will be bright enough for normal use. I have a keychain (nova) light that is actually decent, but it dies on me as it gets turned on in my pocket a lot. Both of these lights would fix that issue and the keychain light would be a backup in addition to the flashlight app on my iPhone.

*Cough jslacker cough* :lol:
 #83551  by jslacker

I carry a backup to my prime and a backup to the backup on my key chain :lol: .

Looking at these two lights I guess it comes to your preference... It looks like the Olight has more features, IE: being able to reverse the clip, tail/standable, and adjustable brightness, where as the main draw to the Streamlight is the simplicity of its simple on/off.

If it were me and I was going to walk out of a store with one or the other I would probably choose the Streamlight, only because the features on the Olight are nice, but those are features I would already have on my prime EDC light and this just being a pocket light I dont see it being absolutely necessary to have all of those features on a backup light.

I carry THIS in my pocket backup to my Eagle Tac and love it... It is the bigger brother to the one that you linked to by Streamlight(its just longer, diameter is the same)... It will clip on the inside of my pocket and still have room at the bottom so it dosent stick out the top of the pocket if that was a worry for you. It is plenty bright for normal use with almost double the lumens as the microstream.

Hope I was able to help.
Let me know which one you end up getting. :P
 #83552  by bmel17

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted another illumination junkies opinion! I know you've done your research recently :D

I usually carry a bookbag with me for work and other and it has my olight m20sx in it. In my vehicles I carry a LED 3d maglight and another backup flashlight. So I'm covered for light, I just wanted something that I could take with me anywhere and not leave my pockets all stuffed up. I like the stylus you linked too.
 #83565  by bmel17

Well I just ordered the Olight. I'll let you know if it is any good. In my previous dealing with their products, I don't think I'll have any issues.
 #83566  by jslacker

bmel17 wrote:...In my vehicles I carry a LED 3d maglight and another backup flashlight...
How do the D cell batteries hold up in the car on overnights? Any problems with leaky batteries or them becoming discharged faster?
bmel17 wrote:Well I just ordered the Olight. I'll let you know if it is any good. In my previous dealing with their products, I don't think I'll have any issues.
Please do.

I hope you ordered it in that purddy purple color! :lol: :troll:
 #83567  by bmel17

jslacker wrote:
I hope you ordered it in that purddy purple color! :lol: :troll:
haha naw I got the purdy gold :lol: Cool thing is it was only $20 shipped. Gotta love eBay!

I seriously need to stop buying flashlights!!!!
 #83703  by jslacker

jslacker wrote:
bmel17 wrote:...In my vehicles I carry a LED 3d maglight and another backup flashlight...
How do the D cell batteries hold up in the car on overnights? Any problems with leaky batteries or them becoming discharged faster?
I was thinking about picking up a 3 cell D LED Mag tonight... What say you on the above?
 #83705  by bmel17

jslacker wrote:
jslacker wrote:
I was thinking about picking up a 3 cell D LED Mag tonight... What say you on the above?
I haven't had any issues. It makes a great makeshift club in a pinch too. I haven't noticed a significant drain on the batteries either. Sorry, I somehow didn't notice you asking that!

I've also been wanting to purchase another maglight, but have been waiting for a sale at depot or lowes.
 #83706  by jslacker

Thanks for the response! I have a 4 D cell incandescent regular Mag that is my club. :lol: If they had sold the 6 cell lights I would have certainly bought that one instead. I think I will get the 3D LED to just keep tucked away in the car.
 #83707  by bmel17

Here is the other light I have been eyeing up for EDC if that olight doesn't work out to my needs.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/d25am/index.html

That 3d LED is really nice. It throws a lot of light for the price. You won't be disappointed!

I'm finally cleaning out my garage from the winter and hopefully I'll find those mythical rechargeable 123's I was talking about!! :lol: