Current events, goings-on in Delaware and anything else of interest here.
 #94788  by Owen

myopicvisionary wrote:How can ammo be good enough to shoot targets but not sight in?
Maybe inconsistent bullet weight? Or some other manufacturing sloppiness?
 #94790  by twfran

Owen wrote:Maybe inconsistent bullet weight? Or some other manufacturing sloppiness?
+1

Bullet weight, bullet seating, powder load, etc.

However, my personal experience is that most inexpensive .223/5.56 shows pretty similar performance out of my Stag Model 4 20" rifle at 50 yards. Going to 100 and then 200 yards, the differences between manufacturers and grades are amplified. Of course, those longer distances also require me to be a more consistent shooter to see those differences clearly.

These days, I tend to buy a little ammo here and there when I see it (either at the local gun shop or trying to avoid shipping costs or using promo codes for a discount for an online store). Always better to have it than need it!
 #94791  by myopicvisionary

So you are shooting targets with ammo so poor that it won't hold a group and therefore the rifle cannot be zeroed with it. Um, why buy such useless garbage?
 #94793  by phlydude

myopicvisionary wrote:So you are shooting targets with ammo so poor that it won't hold a group and therefore the rifle cannot be zeroed with it. Um, why buy such useless garbage?
Perhaps he bought the ammo to try it and realized that the bargain price also came with bargain results...
 #94794  by myopicvisionary

So it's not MOA. The Army standard is roughly 4 MOA. When you say punch paper at 50yards, is it somewhere on a 3' x 3' cardboard or a clay pigeon?