Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #90363  by myopicvisionary

Well, I got the final results from Sunday's rifle match. I came in fifth. I edged past David who had the same numerical score but no "X"s. And Gregory squeezed by me into fourth by one point. Had I shot at my normal level, it would have been a fight between me and John Triol for third place!
 #90780  by Boots

Congratulations! :applause: :applause: :applause:
 #91312  by myopicvisionary

September 28th, 2013

The weather was nice with clear skies. While I had not practiced since last month's match I felt good.

Slow Fire Prone: Ten single rounds in ten minutes.
I got in a solid prone position and the rifle hung naturally on target. When the command to fire was given, I took thirty seconds to get the first shot off. I scored a "10". Keeping an eye on the clock, I used all allowable time and fired my last round with twelve seconds remaining. Happily, I smiled as the score was tallied at 92-0X. I have done better, but I was content with it.

Rapid Fire Prone: Ten rounds in eighty seconds.
With a clip of two rounds loaded with the chamber empty, I stood waiting for the fire command. When given, I dropped to my knees and pushed forward into prone position. I cycled the bolt and chambered the first round. The trigger broke smoothly and I started to take up the slack in the trigger for the next shot. Round number two fired and the now empty en-bloc clip ejected from my rifle. I reloaded with a full clip of eight and took a quick look through the spotting scope. A pair of "X"s at 1 and 8 o'clock. The next eight rounds thundered downrange with me losing track of time. I had rushed it and it showed. Final score... 89-3X.

Standing Slow Fire Offhand: Ten single rounds in ten minutes without support.
By now, I was tired. For ten minutes, I loaded, shouldered and fired my M-1. Ten single shots and I was having difficulty maintaining a steady hold. But; in the end, I scored an 81-0X. This gave a total score of 262-3X for the day. This erased last month's dismal performance and actually helped my season average. My average now moved up to 263.33 points @ 87.77%

Last edited by myopicvisionary on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #92054  by myopicvisionary

October 27th, 2013

The next to the last rifle match for the season ended on a high note! I was very relaxed going in and promised myself to use every second of allotted time. The sunlight on the range today was kind of funky, glaring then dim and back again. In the slow fire prone stage, the first round went downrange but I could not see a bullet hole in the target through my spotting scope. Not seeing a hole in the white, I loaded the next round and let it fly. Looking through the scope, I again saw no holes in the white. OK, so both shots are in the black I just don’t know where. My rear sight was still set from last month’s match using the same 1977 Greek ammunition so I was not worried. The next seven rounds went downrange without any holes in the white. I still was not sure where in the black I was hitting. I guess I will need to save up and but a higher magnification eyepiece for my spotting scope. One round left to go and 75 seconds remain on the clock. I settled in and started taking up the slack in the trigger. Just as the sear tripped, my front sight dipped slightly. The rifle’s action locked open and I looked through the scope. And there it was… a hole in the white at 6 o’clock! Score for record… 94-1X.

Next up; rapid fire prone, 10 rounds in 80 seconds with a reload. Now lately I have been struggling with a new thing in my life, sciatica. And now I was going to feel it. Starting in the prone position I got settled in a solid position. Then the command “Shooters rise” was given. I had to lean on my M1 as a crutch to get to my feet in preparation for loading. The command “Load” was given and I loaded a clip of two rounds and pushed the top round down so the bolt would close on an empty chamber. The line was checked and deemed ready. The “Commence firing” command was given and the firing line dropped their knees and pushed forward into the prone position. When I hit the ground my knees and back groaned in protest. By the time I was in position and cycled the bolt to load the first round, twelve seconds had already elapsed. I fired my first two rounds and the now empty clip ejected itself with that iconic pinging sound. I reloaded full a full clip of eight rounds and looked through the scope. Nothing in the white and 55 seconds remained. I would forgo using the scope since I knew I was on target. I settled into a rhythm of one shot at every five count. When the second clip ejected, four seconds remained on the clock. Two bullet holes appeared in the white around 4 o’ clock. The official score… 92-2X.

Final stage: standing slow fire without support, 10 rounds in ten minutes. My personal nemesis, it was the usual culprit hampering my scores. I loaded and sent the first round downrange in about 45 seconds. No hole in the white! The next four went down in measured sequence. Still the white was unmarred. Number six felt a little loose when it fired and in the scope I could see a bump on the black at one o’clock. It still scored a “9” but I could tell I was getting wobbly. The last four shots went off as I struggled to keep my muzzle from oscillating up and down. Three of them were in the white. The reward for my efforts… 87-0X.

The final verdict the day was a 273-3X out of a possible 300 points. This was my best score to date finally breaking 90%! And with that my season high average moves upward to 267.00 points @ 89.00%!

Last edited by myopicvisionary on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #92722  by myopicvisionary

November 17, 2013, the last rifle match of the season.

The weather was nice and I was ready. Well, 99% of me was. My trigger finger was stitched up and healing nicely. But the stitches prevented it from bending properly. I was now forced to compete using my middle finger to manipulate the rifle’s trigger. Awkward, but possible.

The first stage was slow fire prone. I settled into position and slid my middle finger into the trigger guard and onto the trigger. My injured trigger finger laid against the stock pointing down range. After we were loaded and the command to fire was given, I began taking up the slack on the trigger. The sear released and the first round was on its way. The sensation in my hand from the recoil was quite unusual. But when I looked through the spotting scope, I saw a hole in the “10” ring! "OK; I can do this, let’s keep moving." The next three rounds found the “10” ring. The next two went a little low edging into the “9” ring. Now, my right hand was getting tired and starting to shake. The next shot barely clips the “9” ring. The final three are low in the “8” ring. Total score for the stage is 91-0X.

The next stage was rapid fire prone. Ten rounds in eighty seconds. Standing, we load or rifles with a clip of two rounds and close the bolt on an empty chamber. On the command to fire, I dropped to me knees and pushed forward into the prone position. I cycled the action, chambering the first round. The first round fired and felt good. Reacquiring the target, I sent the second round downrange. The empty clip ejected and I reloaded with a full clip of eight rounds. I took a moment to peer through the spotting scope. A pair of “10”s hovered just over the “X” ring. Fifty-four seconds remained on the clock. I settled into a firing cadence of a shot every five or six seconds. When the last shot was fired, I looked at the results. Two more “10”s, four “9”s and a pair of “8”s to give me a 92-0X.

The last stage was slow fire standing. During the three minute prep period, I stood and dry fired my rifle several times. Gripping my rifle was rather awkward in my situation. Applying pressure to the trigger with my middle finger was making a steady hold difficult to maintain. When the stage commenced, I took almost a full minute to get the first shot off. Looking through the scope I could see a “10” just barely missing the “X” ring. Shot #2 was another “10” high over the “X”. This was followed by a pair of “9”s. Again my hand began to tire and waiver. The next two rounds were an “8” and a “7”. Next came another “7” and a “6”. Up until now, the errant shots were stringing vertically. Shot #9 went off and felt lousy. A miss at 9 o’clock! Two minutes remained on the clock. I rested for a full minute and got pack into position. My sight picture wavered back and forth across the target. I could not settle it down so I just watched the pendulum swing and tripped the sear as it crossed the black. A “6” on the left side of the target. A 72-0X for the stage. My tally for the day was a 255-0X. Not a stellar showing but I was happy with the day for seeing it through.

#92731  by cj45lc

Never given much thought to having to use a middle finger for the trigger but after trying it on an imaginary rifle just siting here I have to say you did a helluva job.
 #93516  by myopicvisionary

December 15th, 2013

I've got my lodgings reserved for the 2014 CMP Eastern Games at Camp Butner, NC! Now I only have to wait for the online match reservation system to open just after the New Year.
 #93988  by myopicvisionary

January 2nd, 2014

Match registration for the CMP Eastern Games came online today and I had my registration confirmed at 0500hrs! The only thing left is practice, practice, practice!
 #94669  by myopicvisionary

The dates for the 2014 CMP matches at Kimberton Fish & Game are:

APR 27
MAY 25
JUN 22
JUL 27
AUG 23
SEP 28
OCT 26
NOV 09

So, if you have an "as-issued" M1903 Springfield, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1917 Enfield or a .30-40 Krag-Jorgenson you can compete. Relays are $25.00 and they supply the ammunition with the exception of .30-40.