Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #67230  by myopicvisionary

May 27, 2012

I didn't do as well as I had hoped in May's M1 Garand match. Going in I was doing great. My sighters were right in the black, just a bit low.

One click up in elevation and my group was well centered in the slow fire prone stage giving me a 91-2X! Other than two shots that I rushed, all were in the black.

The rapid fire stage is when things started to fall apart. Eighty seconds to fire two rounds, reload with eight and finish. I went way too fast and pushed my shots south. My score was a dismal 78. A good 10 to 12 points off my normal score for rapid fire.

Then it was time for the slow fire standing stage, a chance to rescue myself. I was determined to do better. I took over a minute to get the first shot off. Looking through my spotting scope and it's a "10"! Feeling better, I chambered the next round and let it go in about 30 seconds. A "9" at 7 o'clock. After firing my third shot I saw that I had seven minutes left to fire my remaining seven rounds, so my timing was right on. Through my scope I could see another "9" at 2 o'clock. The center of my three shot group was right in the ten ring. And then it went to hell.Image

I was yanking the trigger, breaking sight alignment, rushing the shot, you name it. While the standing offhand position is my weakest venue, I have done way better a horrible 74 points! My total for the day is a paltry 243-2X @ 81%. Combined with last month's very good 264-2X @ 88%, my season average now drops to a 253.50 @ 84.5%
 #67253  by BigJoe

Thanks for posting these. While most catch the EBR bug, I recently caught the MSR (military surplus rifle) bug and a M1 is on my list. Its nothing that has to be done immediately but it's coming. Wish I would have caught it years ago when the deals were to be had. I'm seriously considering a C and R license.
 #67423  by myopicvisionary

The CMP is your best bet for a quality affordable M1.
 #68029  by myopicvisionary

June 24th, 2012

Today's match had fabulous weather in the low 80's and not much humidity. Mary accompanied me to see the match for herself. The match ran smooth and I did much better than last month. The slow fire prone stage felt good and I racked up a 92-0X out of 100-10X.

The rapid fire stage was better then last month even though a bit under my normal average. The score of 85-0X could have been better had I held my position stronger.

Then onto the slow fire standing offhand stage. As is often the case, it remains my Achille's Heel. My score of 77-0X; while respectable, was a bit of a letdown. But it was my failing as I caught myself lifting my head for the first four rounds.Image

The final score for record was a 254-0X, much better then last month's 243-2X!
Last edited by myopicvisionary on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #69290  by myopicvisionary

July 22nd, 2012

Today was a great day for the match. The temperature was in the 80s and the sky was somewhat overcast so sun glare was not an issue. The first stage as always is the slowfire prone. I used all of the alloted time and nailed down a 94-1X!

Feeling good, I was ready for the rapidfire stage. Fire two rounds, reload and fire eight more in a total of eighty seconds. I rushed it a little bit, finishing with twenty seconds left on the clock. Still, I am happy with the 91-0X for record.Image

Down to the last stage..... standing offhand. Ten rounds in ten minutes, shot in the standing position without the aid of a sling. The first shot I knew I had pulled. Looking through my spotting scope, I see the result. A "5" way out in the upper right corner! As the stage wore on; I focused on my trigger squeeze, with each shot getting better. My last shot was an "X"! Final score for the stage was an 84-1X. My total score for the match was a 269-2X. My best match of the season so far! Today's score moved my high average up to a 262.33 points @ 87.44%! The top ten percent is coming within my reach.
 #71146  by myopicvisionary

Yesterday was the M1 Garand match for August. I was really feeling good and quite relaxed going in. The Slowfire Prone stage went smooth with only two shots that I knew I had pulled low. Upon scoring, I found two shots at the bottom of the bull. An "8" just shy of the "9" ring and a "9" that had just squeaked in. While I should have not let that "8" occur, I am very happy with the final score of 96-3X. This was the highest I have ever scored in the Slowfire Prone!

Next up was the Rapidfire Prone, 10 rounds with a reload in 80 seconds. Starting while standing with two rounds loaded with an empty chamber, the command "Commence Firing" was sounded. I dropped to my knees and pushed forward into the prone postion. Cycling the bolt, I chambered round number one. I got the first two rounds off and the empty clip ejected out of the receiver. Looking through the spotting scope, I am rewarded with a pair of "10"s at 6 o'clock. I reloaded with a full clip of eight rounds and looked at the timer. Twenty seconds expired, I am behind in time. I rushed the remaining shots, lifting my head on several trigger breaks. The results of which were quite apparent. A stringing line of holes, low to high, left to right. The resulting tally was 89-0X. While not my best, I was OK with it.

The last stage was the Slowfire Standing.... my personal demon. Ten rounds in ten minutes standing without support. My first two shots were low. The next two, high. The following pair of "7"s continued my damned orbit of the bull. Six rounds fired, five minutes remaining on the clock. I set my rifle down and rested for a full minute. The RO came over and asked if I was alright. "Yeah, I am just trying to remember how to shoot". I picked up my M1 and loaded round number seven. The clock told me I had thirty seconds to get the shot off. Letting the wobble smooth out, I started my trigger squeeze. The shot broke cleanly and I looked through the spotting scope. A "10" right at the bottom. The next shot garnered another "10" at 9 o'clock. Two rounds to go, two minutes, five seconds left. I tripped my ninth shot as the front sight drifted slightly left. Yep, a "9" at 8 o'clock. One round left to fire with fifty seconds to go. I slid the last round into the chamber and let the bolt close. Shouldering the rifle, I took a breath and let half out. The bull was dancing on top of my front sight with every heartbeat. Thirty-five seconds left in the match. Exhaling fully, I started squeezing the trigger. The hammer dropped, the rifle fired and the bolt locked open, ending the match for me. I looked through the scope one last time. It was too close to tell. Once the line was cleared, we went forward to score. That last shot was in the "9" ring at 3 o'clock but the bullet hole just kissed the "10" ring giving me the higher score. The total for the stage was 79-0X. All totalled, I earned a 264-3X for the day. That nullifies a 254-0X from June's match. My high average moves up to 265.66 points @ 88.55%. This puts me even closer to being ready for the CMP Eastern Games in North Carolina next year.

#71174  by myopicvisionary

I got the results today. My 264-3X earned me third place! Second place was a 268-3X with the winner posting a 269-3X. If only I had done better in the standing stage.
 #72563  by myopicvisionary

At this month's gathering, several members asked about getting an M1 Garand. Your best bet is through the CMP.
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/orderinginfo.htm

Ordering is very simple and I got my rifle delivered to my front door by FedEx in 22 days!
 #72673  by myopicvisionary

Yesterday was the M1 Garand match for September. Not my best showing for sure. My slowfire prone stage was a good start with a 90-0X.

For the rapid fire stage I really rushed it and it shows. The first two rounds before the reload went high left. After the reload, I calmed down but was pressed for time. Thus the "Ring around the X-ring". The 85-0X was ok.

The standing stage is where I really lost it. And that one shot out in left field really hurt. A 1/4" to the right and it would have at least scored five more points. As it was, I only managed a lousy 74-0X. The only thing I can blame is... myself.
 #74646  by myopicvisionary

November 11th, 2012

My last rifle match for the year until next spring. Not my best showing as it did not help my average but I am happy with it as we shot under foggy conditions! Even with a so-so standing score, I did post a score of 261-2X out of a possible 300-30X. So now it is time to spend the winter months loading practice ammunition!

Slow fire prone stage

Rapid fire prone stage

Slow fire standing stage