Discuss the when's and where's of the next range trip.
 #66877  by knohope

There has been a little talk lately about Delaware State Pistol Club.

I am looking for a range that I can join that will give me the flexibility to shoot with my wife and son (and eventually my daughter) both rifle and pistol at all levels. I am in the process of applying to a range in New Jersey (GASP! :o ) because I have not found a range in Delaware that offers all of the features I seek (pistol, rifle, shotgun and archery, unlimted access at all times). It seems that DSPC might fit, but I do not know enough about it. Can anyone offer some insight (radnor?).
I considered Brandwine breifly, but they are curently not allowing any new members.
I am looking for a range or club where I can come and go as I please and will be able to shoot in a comfortable environment with my family. Any insight is appreciated.
 #66886  by radnor

DSPC cannot fill all of your requirements listed.

It is 24X7. Went there at midnight on a Friday after showing Ken how to reload. (Had to make sure the loads were ok right?!?)

They have a limit of 1500fps. However the 5.7 from a handgun IS allowed even though it was clocked just over 2000fps. No damage to backstop (1/2 inch AR500)

Rifle is limited to .22. Cannot shoot high power due to the noise.

No archery. No shotgun.

DSPC has some events open to the public listed on the calendar. M-Sa (EXCEPT Wed). Also offer NRA classes there if interested. PPITH and OH are next up. I need to add OH. For the kids, JR Rifle program on Sat mornings. Not this Sat though. (See calendar)

For all that you are looking for BHRGC (local) is your best bet. But as you said, not accepting new members. I found to get in the door there was too expensive for me. (250/yr & 500 initiation)

Did you look into SCCSFA? Been there a few times conducting NRA classes. They have all you are looking for plus a stocked pond for members. http://www.sccsfa.org/ LOTS of members there!

If I can answer any more questions, just ask.
 #66887  by knohope

Thank you. That is exactly the info I was seeking. I am going to research SCCSFA a little more on your recommendation.

On another note, I did see the junior rifle program at DSPC on the website. This looks really interesting and I think my son would enjoy it. We are going to check it out next week. Also, I'm going to get myself over on a Monday to check out the action pistol event.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
 #66891  by radnor

You're welcome. Glad to assist.
 #66929  by bluedog46

Do they still have the six month wait to get a key? Someone was mentioning the other day that now you can get it as soon as you pay the fee?

Any chance of ar15 being able to be shot there?
 #66940  by radnor

bluedog46 wrote:Do they still have the six month wait to get a key? Someone was mentioning the other day that now you can get it as soon as you pay the fee?
It can be knocked down some. Must attend Wed night orientation. Here you will be shown how to open and close the place. Shoot. Need to get 3 signatures from people who witnessed your shooting / gun handling. Suggest several Wed nights, lots thrown at you.
bluedog46 wrote:Any chance of ar15 being able to be shot there?
Doubt it. Dont think the issue is with the back stop. Noise is.