NEW MEMBERS, PLEASE READ.
 #55783  by Red Alert

Hello folks, new to the site. I buddy of mine actuality told me about it. I've been on the firearm and gun forum for a while but posted very little over there. Just read up on a lot of useful info. I live in New Castle raised here most of my life. I'm very active in my Jeep club and fire department where I'm a fire-line officer for the past 7 years. I'm 33 years old with a wife and two baby girls. I started out with a Stroger double barrel over/under 12 GA. Love that gun. My pop and I started out skeet shooting down Ommellanden twice a month on Saturdays. After that I purchase a Thompson Center Arms Hawkins black powered w/caps lock. I fired that gun twice and I was planning on using it for hunting deer. I took the hunter safety course down Ommellanden as well and to this day haven't been hunting. No one seems to want to take a noob out for his first run. So a few years went by and I grew up a bit more, got married and started a family. I'm the kind of person that wants to protect his castle and it's content so the interested flared up again. I wanted a hand gun but never held one let alone fired one. It seemed very intimidating. I looked for a few months then decided I would be much comfortable with a shot gun since I've had some experience with them. Alone with my Stroger my pop has a Remington Semi Auto 1187 from 1987, a 870 pump with light stock and came with the extra riffled barrel, a 1967 Marlin 39A, and CSA Omega black powder gun that I've fired. I wanted the Remington 870 pump with the green stock but they were out of them. I thought it looked really cool and it was different. I try to be a bit different then everyone else. I ended up getting the black 870 pump with the full barrel. So after that my pop, younger brother and I started skeet shooting again last fall and did that for a few months. We had a blast. Then I started looking into the CC course as I want to be able to get a hand gun and carry it canceled. I also wanted some training on a hand gun to feel better about it. I figured I better get a hand gun I want so when I take the safety course I can use my gun and get familiar with it. I wanted the Ruger SP 101 with the canceled hammer. I went to X Ring three times and the third time I was going to purchase it. But safety for my first hand gun was my main concern as I have two babies in the house. The revolver does not have a safety lock and that was very important to me. My 2nd choice was the two town 380 Bersa but they were out of stock. So I started looking over the supplies they had and found the Taurus PT 24/7 PRO DS. So I went from wanting and almost buying a 357 revolver, to a 380 semi, to a 40 semi in about an hour LOL. I must say, I love this gun. I've done a lot of research on all three guns before I went to the store and the Taurus was my 3rd choice and I'm really glad I got it. It has three safety features on it and fires great with incredible accuracy for a noob like me. I've fired the gun twice since I purchase it @ Targetmaster in PA and it was a blast. Goes through ammo quick and I now understand why many get 22's for the range. For a while I keep all my guns @ my pops house since he has a fire rated gun safe and I didn't feel comfortable with guns in the house just yet. Well there was a threat issued to me so I told the wife I was going to bring a gun home. The wife told me whenever and whatever. I brought home the shot gun and I have it put away where I know my kids won't get to it. My girls are old and very smart enough to understand and I've talked to them about guns and safety. I have since brought my Taurus home and I have that in a safe place and the clips in another. I have told the wife I want a fire rated gun safe for Xmas. Anyhow, the wife has told me a few times she would like to learn how to shoot in case I am not home and she needs to know. I am ok with this but I told her I would get her a 380 gun to learn on. I plan to take the complete course @ Targetmaster this fall and get my CC. I figured I would jump on here since you all are local and maybe get a lot of pointers as well as maybe join a club or range. Well I'm sure this is a bit long but now you know a bit about me an hope to meet some of you.

Oh and some of the things I like to do is fish (fresh, surf, salt), wheeling, camping, riding, hanging out with family and friends. I'm pretty easy going but I question a lot of things and say whats on my mind with no pun intended...
 #55789  by Mr.Skellington

Welcome to the forums Red Alert. This is a really good place for CC information.

One pointer right off the bat is that if you shop around you will find really good CC classes for far less money than you will have to pay at Targetmaster since targetmaster forces you to take a few very basic courses as prerequisites to the CC class. In all you'll spend at least $300 at targetmaster to satisfy the DE requirements whereas I've seen an average rate of $160 from many other reputable local trainers. Your going to need that extra money for the rest of the process 65+ for background check, 45+/- newspaper ad, photos, ammo for range time etc...
Good luck and hope to meet you at one of the meetings.
 #55790  by SCUBA9097

Welcome to the forum Red Alert! Every single one of us was new to firearms at some point, but you're doing the right thing by looking into training. That alone is more than most people do, so you're already a step ahead of the game.
 #55834  by Red Alert

Thanks...
 #55844  by georgie c

i have found that a good key safe (they are about 12x12 and 3" thick) with an electronic programable key pad works well for storing loaded hand guns. they can be mounted high on the wall when small children are a concern. i picked up 2 of them several years ago at harbour freight but i think they no longer carry them. any way the ones i have will easily hold my ruger lcp and sr9c with out any problem. i think it is a safe way to store your home protection loaded.
 #55858  by Red Alert

I have looked @ them. Personally I don't put much faith in Harbor Freight items. Somethings may be good but just don't want to chance it. I have looked @ a couple @ X Ring. It's been bout a year but I believe one was 129 and the other 179. The one for 179 holds two hand guns...
 #55863  by georgie c

i hear ya. have had no problems with mine. heavy gage steal, 2 bolts that slide from door into frame of box. holds 2 plus check book and keys.
 #55899  by rosco87

Red alert I know who you are as a matter of fact I'll be seeing you tonight at duty crew!!! Good to see ya on here!!!! :applause: