Discussion about specific topics of Delaware law. Suggest new topics of discussion in General Discussion forum.
 #98923  by Deast

From my understanding the part with the serial number is the firearm. In pieces or not. When you buy an ar15 lower new you have to go to a ffl. All the other parts are just parts.
 #98930  by Kuntryboy816

DelCorrections wrote:Here is something if you take your handgun apart take the slide off barrel out and you put the "PIECES" in different place like frame in center console, slide in the glove box and barrel separate you technically are not transporting a fire arm its pieces am I correct . Looking for feedback...
....but why would you want to play "Where's Waldo" in the event that you need your pistol? I don't recall for sure but I believe there's no distinction on whether or not the firearm is assembled. Since open carry is legal, why not just set it on your dash or passenger seat, fully assembled, cocked-locked-and-ready-to-rock?
 #98961  by cheflew

so I read through this topic and I think I have a good grasp on most of it but I do have 1 question.. if I an OC'ing and decide to stop at a place that does not allow OC... I am thinking I must unload my gun and act as if im transporting while its in the vehicle? does that sound right? I am thinking if I just lock the loaded gun in the case technically I am concealing a weapon...
 #98969  by Boots

DelCorrections wrote:Here is something if you take your handgun apart take the slide off barrel out and you put the "PIECES" in different place like frame in center console, slide in the glove box and barrel separate you technically are not transporting a fire arm its pieces am I correct . Looking for feedback...
Location, location, location.

It depends from WHERE to WHERE you are talking about 'transporting'.
 #98970  by Boots

The frame is the firearm.

In DE, concealing the frame in the center console would get you into a lot of trouble. I don't recall anything in the law that says you can conceal a firearm that has components missing, even though the components are critical to its operation.
 #102270  by oross18

Wynder wrote:Three conditions must be met:

1. You're a Delaware resident.
2. You have a Delaware (in-state) CCDW.
3. You're driving in the state of Delaware.

If all three of those conditions are met, you're exempt from the Federal Statute:

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/docs/batf_school_zone.pdf
One exception is where the individual possessing the firearm "is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State. . ." See 18 D.S.C. § 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii).

Rob/Wynder,
Maybe someone already ask this, and sorry if I ask again, but I am new to this OC thing.
How about if you live less than 1000 feet away from the school, meaning you live within the school zone? If I OC that means even driving home will get me in trouble?
Thanks,
 #102279  by Owen

Off topic but the Gun Free School Zone is an adder in DE, as in an added charge if you already violated the law. You still have federal free travel laws to go from one place you are legal to another. That and of course private property as well. But I am not a lawyer.
 #102863  by slickvic107

Please excuse my ignorance on this issue. I have a pickup truck, crew cab. If I put my gun(s) in a locked case underneath (or on?) the back seat, with the magazines up front in the glove box, am I legal? I just don't want the case sitting in the bed, etc. Thanks for your time.
 #102866  by phlydude

Welcome Vic - yes, that would be legal in DE (as well as PA)
But in DE, if you are out and about, if your handgun is in plain view, it can be anywhere in the truck and can be loaded without restriction.
 #102872  by slickvic107

Ok one more dumb question. If my wife and I are both OC, and we get in a car, she is in the passenger seat she is allowed to hold both guns in the open correct?