Discussion about specific topics of Delaware law. Suggest new topics of discussion in General Discussion forum.
 #111985  by Duffer1954

Hello All, I am new to this site and have a question that a LEO friend can’t give a definitive answer. Can a person with a CCDW permit carry a firearm on school property, Public or Private ? Thanks.
 #112086  by DPRNJ

I have used this site quite a bit since I have moved to Delaware and it has been very helpful. Thank you to all that contribute!

Originally from the Democratic People's Republic of NJ and their record with gun control is only getting more asinine.

I do not have a CCDW and this is how I transport my firearms when going to a range (also the same way when I lived in the DPRNJ):

All weapons are unloaded and cased with a padlock securing the zippers.

All ammo in a separate bag compartment or container and padlocked.

All magazines in a separate bag compartment or container and padlocked.

All of that placed in a truck box outside of the passenger compartment and locked.

I think that is more than sufficient for DE. However, could I be given grief for simply walking to the truck to place those items in the truck box?
 #112112  by Pjd832

Duffer1954 wrote:Hello All, I am new to this site and have a question that a LEO friend can’t give a definitive answer. Can a person with a CCDW permit carry a firearm on school property, Public or Private ? Thanks.

Since no one has responded I’ll try, my understanding after research is that a de ccdw provides an affirmative defense from being charged in violation of gfsza, HOWEVER in my findings that is only for the 1000’ bubble around the school but it would still not be legal to carry in school buildings or on the actual property even with a de ccdw ....with a few exceptions...like LEO on duty/acting in official capacity.....approved school function like schools that have shooting teams etc......perhaps someone else will not chime in to correct me if I’m wrong
 #112113  by Pjd832

DPRNJ wrote:I have used this site quite a bit since I have moved to Delaware and it has been very helpful. Thank you to all that contribute!

Originally from the Democratic People's Republic of NJ and their record with gun control is only getting more asinine.

I do not have a CCDW and this is how I transport my firearms when going to a range (also the same way when I lived in the DPRNJ):

All weapons are unloaded and cased with a padlock securing the zippers.

All ammo in a separate bag compartment or container and padlocked.

All magazines in a separate bag compartment or container and padlocked.

All of that placed in a truck box outside of the passenger compartment and locked.

I think that is more than sufficient for DE. However, could I be given grief for simply walking to the truck to place those items in the truck box?
If that is not a rhetorical question, no you should have not be given any issues with carrying items in that condition to your vehicle for transport.

Im sure you realize you are far exceeding the actual legal requirements for intrastate transport, but if your theory is go way above to law for a “safety cushion” then you’re good :D
 #112502  by john1590

Hello, I am looking for clarification on the transportation of my firearm from my residence to my range without a CCWL. I currently keep the weapon cased and unloaded (no ammo in magazine, chamber, or case) and the ammunition in a separate case/container in the exterior trunk of my car. Does the "CASE/CONTAINER" itself have to be locked? If so, would a cable lock, properly installed in the weapon to disable the weapon, count for "Locked" if the container itself is not locked?

Additionally, I have another vehicle (SUV) with a covered trunk well. Does this trunk well count for transportation of my firearm from my residence to my range WITHOUT a CCWL?

Thank you for your response.
 #112505  by Boots

John-
The answer to your question depends on where you are traveling from and your destination.
Your state of residence matters and whether or not you're crossing a state line.
If you are a DE resident, I assume you meant CCDW when you mentioned not having a CCWL?
 #112787  by Slimphattz

I was told yesterday by a CCW instructor that if I am open carrying in a vehicle the magazine needs to be out and the slide locked back. Is this correct? Because I've been open carrying loaded.
 #112788  by NCC

Bullshit. Post their name so that others do not take their classes.