Discussion about specific topics of Delaware law. Suggest new topics of discussion in General Discussion forum.
 #2391  by cappilot06

Wait a minute...I know I should know this but....I didn't think the CCDW had any impact on the federal law concerning gun-free school zones? Are you saying that once I receive my CCDW that I wouldn't be breaking the law simply driving by a school? Would I technically need to conceal it, or could I still OC as long as I had the permit?

Wow..didn't think I had that many questions in me :lol:
 #2393  by Wynder

Three conditions must be met:

1. You're a Delaware resident.
2. You have a Delaware (in-state) CCDW.
3. You're driving in the state of Delaware.

If all three of those conditions are met, you're exempt from the Federal Statute:

http://www.deloc.org/deloc/docs/batf_school_zone.pdf
One exception is where the individual possessing the firearm "is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State. . ." See 18 D.S.C. § 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii).
 #2396  by cappilot06

Thank you very much for that information Rob. It certainly clarifies that issue.

Come on CCDW!! :pbjtime: OK...not going to jinx myself anymore.
 #3041  by Shooter302

What about transporting firearms in dover with no CCDW? For example, If someone where to drive from Harrington to Dover Shooter's choice with no CCDW, would that be considered illegal?
 #3057  by George

Alex wrote:What about transporting firearms in dover with no CCDW? For example, If someone where to drive from Harrington to Dover Shooter's choice with no CCDW, would that be considered illegal?
Sec. 70-2. Weapons generally.

(4) Unloaded and cased. Carrying of any type of gun whatsoever, when unloaded and properly cased, to or from any licensed gallery or range or to or from an area where hunting is allowed by law. This subsection shall not limit the permitted carrying of guns allowed by subsection (b)(5) of this section.
 #3153  by Shooter302

So when you are open carrying in a town that allows open carry and you leave your gun on your dash or your seat, is it loaded?
 #3156  by Wynder

Alex wrote:So when you are open carrying in a town that allows open carry and you leave your gun on your dash or your seat, is it loaded?
Long arms (shotguns and rifles) MUST be unloaded when being transported in a vehicle. With pistols, anything goes.

My firearm is always loaded, starting after I pull it out of the safe and before I put it into my holster and stays that way until I get home at night and put it away.
also, how many of you without CCDW open carry and keep your gun on your dash or front seat?
I have my CCDW, so I just keep it in my OWB holster. Myopic came up with a great rig for his dashboard. And I know Dave OC's in the car...
 #3157  by Shooter302

ya i just found Myop's post that was a good idea. He should definately paint it black if he hasn't already.