Discussion about specific topics of Delaware law. Suggest new topics of discussion in General Discussion forum.
 #44820  by GatorDude

wwd wrote:
GatorDude wrote:In a case...and in the actual bed of the pickup truck.
??? :?
That was in response to Bluedog's question....
 #44824  by Boots

THE Federal Regulation...
Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 44 > § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Notice the last sentence.
 #44827  by GatorDude

The federal reg does not trump state laws though. Gotta be careful. I say more careful is better than less careful....
 #44830  by Mr.Skellington

GatorDude wrote:The federal reg does not trump state laws though. Gotta be careful. I say more careful is better than less careful....
Really? I figured it would trump state and local law since the word "Notwithstanding" (meaning 'in spite of') is the very first word used.

I agree that being careful is wise but it seems this regulation is fairly clear. How would a state or local township be able to successfully convict a person who was in concordance with this Federal regulation?
 #44831  by GatorDude

Note that this only applies to INTERSTATE transportation. Traveling within Delaware from within Delaware, for instance, should not trigger this statute since such an approach would directly challenge state sovereignty.

We wouldn't want that, now would we? :o
 #44860  by wwd

GatorDude wrote:
wwd wrote:
GatorDude wrote:In a case...and in the actual bed of the pickup truck.
??? :?
That was in response to Bluedog's question....
My ??? was in regards to your response of transporting a firearem in the bed of a pickup. I'm picturing a locked firearm case in the back of an open-bed pickup truck. Unless I missed something, which I do more and more these days... :(
 #44880  by wwd

GatorDude wrote:Ahhh...isn't that why they have those storage thingys? ;)
um...er uh...yeah. :|
 #44937  by bluedog46

I think in the case of a motorcyle it would definatley be an open carry situation.
 #46613  by astro_wanabe

Has anyone made a map with 1000' circles around the K-12 schools? I'd love to see that - we have so many primary schools that I doubt it would even be possible to travel to some areas without passing through one of these zones. I know that I can't go to work (the Pathmark in College Square Shopping Ctr, Newark) without passing within 1000' of Newark High. I also can't travel very far down Kirkwood Hwy / DE 2 without passing Shue-Medill Middle School. Nor can I take Possum Park Rd because of Holy Angels. The only way out of Newark is Ceveland Ave, Main Street, and 273 (past X-Ring).

If OC is considered a right as opposed to the privilige of CC, doesn't prohibiting me from carrying around town off school grounds constitute a violation of that right? I would like to think that even IF bans on guns on campus were upheld (Heller merely left it open) they would be limited to the grounds themselves. Otherwise anti-gunners could expand the radius to 2000 yards (hey, 20mm rounds are still considered effective at that distance right?) and effectively ban exercising the right to bear arms (recognized as OC) over nearly the entire state.