Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #107793  by Norseman

Although I'm a resident of New Jersey, I have a Utah non-resident ccw permit that permits me to conceal carry in Delaware. I'd like to plan an overnight hiking/backpacking trip in Delaware but it looks like (according to what I've read) there are no long overnight hikes other than through national and state parks. Does anyone know of a decent overnight route I could hike that I could ccw and not break any laws?
 #107806  by Kuntryboy816

Unfortunately, we're pretty screwed on what you're asking. In Delaware, we are not allowed to carry in state parks and/or any lands controlled by DNREC (minus hunting regs). That basically boils down to almost all of the scenic or out of the way places in Delaware. Your Utah non-resident permit does not allow you to carry concealed in PA but you do have the option to Open Carry there. Other than that, you'll have to hit states like WV, OH, VA or VT which are the closest that your UT non-res permit will allow you to carry in.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

PS- There are a few State Forest areas down state (Redden, Taber & Blackbird) which I believe are ruled under the Dept. of Agriculture and not DNREC. You will have to do some research on those to ascertain the legality of CC there.
 #107809  by NormH3

Delaware is too small to overnight hike. :) Seriously, there aren't many state parks if any that allow overnight camping. The parks are officially only open from sun up to dusk.
 #107811  by Kuntryboy816

NormH3 wrote:Delaware is too small to overnight hike. :)
Truth! :lol:

I remember more than a few years back, I contacted DNREC about camping out in an area not designated as a campground. They said that I could apply for some type of permit to do so but I never followed up on it. I think it was that I'd have to contact the Park's office and get the permit or something like that...
 #107823  by rosco87

They say we are free in America but we need a permit to do just about anything!!! its very very aggravating!!! Are we really free or are we just happy to be allowed to live in the masters house and obey his rules!
 #107845  by surfacedragon

It's funny that the first time I OCed outside of my house was on a backpacking trip in northern California. I thought it was odd how when I asked a park ranger in CA if it was legal for me to carry my Glock openly in the Mokelumne wilderness he told me he knew of no law preventing me from doing that.
 #107848  by Boots

surfacedragon wrote:It's funny that the first time I OCed outside of my house was on a backpacking trip in northern California. I thought it was odd how when I asked a park ranger in CA if it was legal for me to carry my Glock openly in the Mokelumne wilderness he told me he knew of no law preventing me from doing that.
AIRC, in remote and rural areas of CA, OC is not illegal. It's the urban and populated areas where OC is not allowed.

If you want to do more research I'd recommend you start here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/