Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #107842  by Mr_Massino

So as I'm sure we all know, OC in DE is legal (with a few exceptions of state/national parks, state buildings, etc), but what I can't seem to find any info about online is whether or not that covers long guns (specifically semi automatic rifles) as well as handguns. From what I've read thus far, put simply, if it's not explicitly forbidden by state law, it's essentially legal, & I can't find anything anywhere about OCing semi automatic long guns being illegal. Anyone know of something in the books that says different (sources are appreciated)?

P.S. Just so we're clear, this isn't me asking so I can be one of those asshats that feel the need to walk into Chipotle's sporting a plate carrier and an AK with extra mags to "excersize my rights", but rather because there are some places in the state (that need not be listed, we know where they are) where I go and would rather have my carry pistol as a back up to something a little more.... persuasive. Again, not just for the sake of wandering around the streets with a rifle
On my shoulder, but for legitimate security and self defense purposes when going from A to B (vehicle to house/business and vice versa). I already know the laws on vehicle transport, so don't need any help there- thanks!
 #107843  by 2xTony

Like you said, ive never seen anything saying you cant do it.
 #107847  by Boots

For starters, I see at least two issues. One is that a long gun cannot be loaded while in or even touching a vehicle. So, to do as you seem to be suggesting, you would need to load up after you exit the vehicle, and then have to unload before entering a vehicle. Not a good plan for self-defense in a civilian environment.

Secondly, self defense is basically up-close and personal and a long gun is not very maneuverable in close up situations. Also, there is the danger of over-penetration and no way to insure you won't also kill a lot of innocent people in the background. And, God forbid you ever used a rifle in a public place if you had a handgun handy. You'd have a lot of 'splainin' to do as to why you wanted to kill the perp instead of just stopping the threat.

There was a time in Texas when long guns were openly carried (improperly) as a protest because open carry was not allowed for handguns but was for long guns... thus the protests. Fortunately, the protests worked because open carry of handguns in Texas is now allowed.

The bottom line is this... it's not the place nor the time. Just because something has not yet been outlawed does not mean it's a smart thing to do. So, save the long guns for the coming zombie apocalypse and stick with handguns for self-defense for now.
 #107850  by Mr_Massino

You may very well be right as to the whole "why use a rifle when a pistol was readily available" bit, Boots. Delaware doesn't have a stand your ground law on the books atm (though the self defense (using deadly force) laws make up for that well enough imo), Perhaps it would be best to just mount the rifle in my SUV with loaded magazines in a separate, locked box (like one of those biometric gun vault deals) just in case and stick to a primary and backup on my person... Or maybe even have a little of the best of both worlds with an FNH FiveSeven, assuming I can find one... Thanks everybody!