Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #109924  by airman1968

Is it policy @Shooters Choice, No loaded weapons at all in showroom? And is this common with all gun stores?
 #109935  by Amy Blackthorn

airman1968 wrote:Is it policy @Shooters Choice, No loaded weapons at all in showroom? And is this common with all gun stores?
Every shop is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #109938  by Owen

Viper never minded my carrying there. :D

I think I've open carried at X-Ring too, but it has been a long time and I could be wrong.
 #109939  by Amy Blackthorn

I've Open carried with no issues at Viper's, Cabela's, Starquest, and Target Shooting Solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #109941  by Kuntryboy816

Owen wrote:Viper never minded my carrying there. :D

I think I've open carried at X-Ring too, but it has been a long time and I could be wrong.
I've OC'ed at X-ring plenty of times and unless something has changed within the last 6ish or so months, they're okay with it. With that being said, I still prefer Viper's!
 #109943  by coolwrld

I specifically asked Shooters about the concealed carry policy through Facebook and here is the conversation

Shooters initial response
"Any one with a DE CCDW can carry concealed in the store as long as they don't take it out of the holster. As far as LEO, a prior manager here had the idea that I would be ok with people taking their carry gun out of the holster in the range...I was not ok with it for safety reasons. I ask everyone that shoots on the range to have their guns in a case and keep it cased when not in the booth, LEO included. Hope that helps clear it up for you. Have a great weekend!"

I then asked the following
"so I'm not mistaken we cannot use the carry gun on the range even if we only take it out of the holster once? I mean I know there is no drawing from the holster to shoot but if I take the gun out of the holster at the beginning of my time on the range shoot it without re-holstering everytime and only re-holster once before leaving the range is that allowed? I'm assuming not and if I want to practice with my carry gun I need to bring it in cased and not on my person?"

Shooters response
"Here's the thing.... we both know you're safe and have used a holster to carry every day BUT, there's the guy in the booth next to you that just got his CCDW and can't wait to walk into the range with no case and un-holster his gun in front of everyone because he just saw you do it....get where I'm going with this? So if you don't feel like un-holstering and unloading your carry gun before you come in to the store, I get that. We all carry too. If you need a case because you just dropped in without plans of coming to shoot, just ask at the front counter for a case and we'll be happy to give you one to use."

So it definitely seems they have no problems with individuals concealing in the store as long as you don't un-holster in the store or to shoot on the range. So in the end I just un-holstered in my car left my carry magazine loaded in the center console cased my carry gun went in and shot and re-loaded and re-holstered when I got back in my car.
 #109954  by Owen

I see what they are saying. They don't like holstered guns on the range period because of "safety concerns with drawing from a holster". E.g. CYA in case some one goofs up drawing. That is the way Ommelanden is too and no OC at Ommelanged either.

I'll have to ask a friend, whose work uses the Shooters Choice range for qualification training, if they can draw from a holster. I think when they use one side of the range for their stuff it is not open to the public.

If you want to practice drawing you can do that at home unloaded I guess or check out ranges that allow it. (Hint: Action Pistol at DSPC ;) )
 #109955  by coolwrld

I do most of my holster practice at home. I bought a cheap webcam and the LASR software. That coupled with a 9mm laser bullet works pretty well as you can do different drills using the software and as long as the camera can pick up the laser bullet you can use pretty much anything as a target.

I do know that TSS in Avondale will allow you to do holster practice on the range but they do ask that you notify them and check in with the RSO to get instructions prior to doing so. Unfortunately, I have not been able to take advantage of this as of yet.