Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #111237  by Kuntryboy816

KiaYuki wrote:
astro_wanabe wrote: If you get a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon (CCDW) then you gain the added "privilege" of being able to carry your deadly weapon concealed. At that point it can be anywhere in the vehicle, readily visible or not, as you wish. Generally when CC'ing I just leave it in my waistband. The less your trigger is exposed the less chances there are for a negligent discharge.
So it has to be on the dash, or passenger seat untill i get my permit. My concern with that is it sliding it around and falling off the dash and hurting someone if it fell on them, Had that happen once. Had my pistol on the dash and it slide off and struck me in the knee. So could I mount a holster to my dash to secure it safely so it cant slide around? But still be in plain sight?
Yes, a dash mounted holster is a great idea. That way, in a situation where you have to make a quick manuever or in the event of a crash, the pistol will stay secured in place and not be able to injure anyone in the vehicle. For the passenger seat, if you pick up a cheap nylon style holster (Uncle Mike's or Bulldog ~$15), they usually have a pretty secure metal belt clip that you can use to attach to the passenger seat belt. Just pull the seat belt across the empty seat and buckle it and then clip the holster to the seat belt. This isn't really a viable option if you have a passenger in the vehicle though.

Here's a good thread on the subject. I think there might be a 2nd thread with pics of dash holster setups on this forum as well.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31&hilit=jeep+dash+holster
 #111275  by KiaYuki

So Ive realized, I got another question, maybe two. So I know Delaware is a May Issue state. But I wont deny that im a bit concerned about the idea that a judge can deny my application on a whim, for little to no reason. So If Im denied for such an unspecified reason what is the timelimit before Im able to apply again?

Second question I have is, Is the CCDW only for firearms? Or does it cover other weapons and self defense tools? Such as fixed blade knives, batons, pepper spray, tasers and stunguns and the like as well?

And Third question, I know the baton specifically is legal to own and carry, and from what Ive read its legal to conceal carry with CCDW Im guessing. Whats the legality in using it in self defense? I know Delaware uses the reasonable use of force tier when determining reasonable force and injury in self defense. Where does the baton fall in that tier? I know that in the hands of someone trained to use it, its a reasonable and effective non-lethal weapon
 #111282  by astro_wanabe

KiaYuki wrote:So Ive realized, I got another question, maybe two. So I know Delaware is a May Issue state. But I wont deny that im a bit concerned about the idea that a judge can deny my application on a whim, for little to no reason. So If Im denied for such an unspecified reason what is the timelimit before Im able to apply again?

Second question I have is, Is the CCDW only for firearms? Or does it cover other weapons and self defense tools? Such as fixed blade knives, batons, pepper spray, tasers and stunguns and the like as well?

And Third question, I know the baton specifically is legal to own and carry, and from what Ive read its legal to conceal carry with CCDW Im guessing. Whats the legality in using it in self defense? I know Delaware uses the reasonable use of force tier when determining reasonable force and injury in self defense. Where does the baton fall in that tier? I know that in the hands of someone trained to use it, its a reasonable and effective non-lethal weapon
There's quite a few questions in there, but I'll try to take a swing at it.

1) If you are denied you would need to initiate an appeal. I didn't need to do so, but from what I understand it's essentially like making an appeal in court, which is basically what you're doing. I believe all the normal rules for court proceedings apply so you would most likely want to hire a qualified lawyer. Remember that if you move in the future having been denied in Delaware could affect your ability to get a license in other states also, as there are quite a few states that ask if you've ever been denied a license to carry in other states. You don't want to take the appeal process lightly.

2)The CCDW is a "license to carry concealed deadly weapons". Thus, you are able to carry anything deemed a "deadly weapon" under Delaware state law except for items that are prohibited specifically. See 11 Del. C. §222(4) through (16) for relevant definitions, and 11 Del. C. §1441 through §1446A for relevant state level restrictions. Restrictions vary for the various classifications of weapons, and some weapons may be legal at the state level but have county or city prohibitions. For example stun type devices are prohibited by New Castle County code and again by City of Wilmington code. Also as an example, bombs are mentioned as being deadly weapons in the definition, but their possession is prohibited by both 11 Del. C. §1338 and §1444.

3) Legalities of possession aside as I've never really looked into it, batons would probably be viewed in roughly the same light as using a stick or baseball bat. More serious than a fist, less than a gun, though certainly capable of killing if used in certain ways. I guess it would kind of depend on how you used it. For example killing someone with your fist is probably viewed as worse than giving a bruise with a bat, regardless of a weapon being used.