Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #110741  by KiaYuki

Hiya! Within the next year Ill be making the move to living in Delaware. And Im coming from Arizona where constitutional carry permits open, and concealed carry by any legal resident with or without permit. But because Its raised some questions for me about Delaware, What specifically strictly defines Concealed VS Open Carry. If Im open carrying and Put on a jacket which covers my weapon, is that now considered concealed? Or is it still open carry? Like if its raining/cold/snowing or something does my jacket still need to worn in a way that my weapon is still visible?
 #110742  by NCC

Yes. No. Yes.

Some offered readings here:
http://www.deloc.org/docs/carrybrochure.pdf
http://www.deloc.org/docs/Delaware_Firearms_Laws.pdf

And if you find this too restrictive, and can afford it, then you can apply for a permit to carry concealed.
http://www.deloc.org/ccdw.php
 #110752  by Kuntryboy816

Welcome KiaYuki! In addition to NCC's answers to your questions, I'd offer that when you are OC'ing, the pistol needs to be in an OWB type of holster in order to be considered OC. Other than that, sorry to hear you're moving to Delaware! (just kidding, I <ahem> love this state!)
 #110757  by KiaYuki

NCC wrote:Yes. No. Yes.

Some offered readings here:
http://www.deloc.org/docs/carrybrochure.pdf
http://www.deloc.org/docs/Delaware_Firearms_Laws.pdf

And if you find this too restrictive, and can afford it, then you can apply for a permit to carry concealed.
http://www.deloc.org/ccdw.php
Thanks! Makes sense, Just as i expected. Ill probably be applying for the CCW/CCDW once ive settled in and can afford it. Shame my AZ Permit will no longer be valid, but what can you do? Now, if i seek to apply for the CCDW, Is there a time limit I have to be a resident of Delaware before I can apply? Or could I apply the moment I start living there?

Kuntryboy816 wrote:Welcome KiaYuki! In addition to NCC's answers to your questions, I'd offer that when you are OC'ing, the pistol needs to be in an OWB type of holster in order to be considered OC. Other than that, sorry to hear you're moving to Delaware! (just kidding, I <ahem> love this state!)
As of right now, not OC'ing anything. I was OC'ing a Sig p226 in a Blackhawk Cant Six Holster, But I switched to my Minotaur IWB Holster because the Cant Six had no retention beyond fitment and pressure. I would of preferred at least a thumb strap for OC. Which ill have to get since I cant carry IWB without a permit. But as of right now I had to sell my Sig do to some finacial issues a few months back and havent been able to get around to getting it, or another pistol due to being various employment issues.
 #111105  by Pjd832

Thanks! Makes sense, Just as i expected. Ill probably be applying for the CCW/CCDW once ive settled in and can afford it. Shame my AZ Permit will no longer be valid, but what can you do? Now, if i seek to apply for the CCDW, Is there a time limit I have to be a resident of Delaware before I can apply? Or could I apply the moment I start living there?

Hello and pre welcome to DE ....there is no time in state requirement ...one of the several archaic requirements is haveing a “reference” questionnaire sheet filled out by 5 people in the county you will be residing. While the form is a simple quick one page and signature type of thing, you may encounter the same kind of issue I have....

I moved to DE ,Kent co over a year ago but work in dc and travel a lot leaving in the wee hours and coming home late evening if at all so socialization with the locals not really an option and those that I know and know me well enough to sign such a form are all from a different county... so in essence I have no hope of getting 5 people to sign the forms for me ....

one of the questions is “how long have you known this person” or something to that effect....not sure what the required time period is but I’m assuming they’re looking for something other than 2 days lol .... my advice BE SURE to socialize ASAP when you get here if possible good luck
 #111232  by KiaYuki

Thanks for the tips! Im moving to Delaware for my Fiance/GF and her family is aware that I carry and are accepting of this, So getting references shouldnt be too hard. OH! I have another question, This one is a about transporting a firearm, I know that without a permit a pistol must be stowed either on the dash or in the passanger seat. But how does this change when you have a permit?
 #111235  by astro_wanabe

KiaYuki wrote:Thanks for the tips! Im moving to Delaware for my Fiance/GF and her family is aware that I carry and are accepting of this, So getting references shouldnt be too hard. OH! I have another question, This one is a about transporting a firearm, I know that without a permit a pistol must be stowed either on the dash or in the passanger seat. But how does this change when you have a permit?
If you get a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon (CCDW) then you gain the added "privilege" of being able to carry your deadly weapon concealed. At that point it can be anywhere in the vehicle, readily visible or not, as you wish. Generally when CC'ing I just leave it in my waistband. The less your trigger is exposed the less chances there are for a negligent discharge.
 #111236  by KiaYuki

astro_wanabe wrote: If you get a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon (CCDW) then you gain the added "privilege" of being able to carry your deadly weapon concealed. At that point it can be anywhere in the vehicle, readily visible or not, as you wish. Generally when CC'ing I just leave it in my waistband. The less your trigger is exposed the less chances there are for a negligent discharge.
So it has to be on the dash, or passenger seat untill i get my permit. My concern with that is it sliding it around and falling off the dash and hurting someone if it fell on them, Had that happen once. Had my pistol on the dash and it slide off and struck me in the knee. So could I mount a holster to my dash to secure it safely so it cant slide around? But still be in plain sight?