Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #13993  by Condition1

Is it legal to OC with an IWB holster? Also, is it legal to go inside a gas station or liquor store?
 #13994  by dave_in_delaware

124JHP wrote:Is it legal to OC with an IWB holster?
According to the AG's Office and my lawyer (and the dictionary definitions of "open" and "concealed"), NO. As long as you're covering even a little bit of the gun (in this case, the muzzle inside your waistband), it's considered concealing (not "open"), which you can't do legally without a CCDW License.
124JHP wrote:Also, is it legal to go inside a gas station or liquor store?
As long as you're OCing, or legally CCing (w/ a CCDW License), Yes, and Yes. I've done both while OCing w/out any issues.
 #13995  by Condition1

Thanks for the answer. One more question, how do you do to OC when wearing a jacket?
 #13996  by dave_in_delaware

124JHP wrote:Thanks for the answer. One more question, how do you do to OC when wearing a jacket?
By jacket I'm guessing you mean like an outdoor coat (not business clothing)... My winter jacket isn't the "long" type so I just tuck that side of my jacket behind my holster. It's very comfortable and easy to do, and allows the gun to be obvious (i.e. nOT concealed). This method is acceptable as far as I know, since the detectives took a picture of this "setup" on me after my self-defense incident, and couldn't pin a "carrying a concealed deadly weapon without a license" charge on me. Especially since the AG's Office told me I need to use an OWB holster to OC!
 #14000  by DragonJames

dave_in_delaware wrote:
124JHP wrote:Thanks for the answer. One more question, how do you do to OC when wearing a jacket?
By jacket I'm guessing you mean like an outdoor coat (not business clothing)... My winter jacket isn't the "long" type so I just tuck that side of my jacket behind my holster. It's very comfortable and easy to do, and allows the gun to be obvious (i.e. nOT concealed). This method is acceptable as far as I know, since the detectives took a picture of this "setup" on me after my self-defense incident, and couldn't pin a "carrying a concealed deadly weapon without a license" charge on me. Especially since the AG's Office told me I need to use an OWB holster to OC!
This was something that I have thought about, and Dave, you've seen the length of my coat, It seems it would either be rather un-comfortable/cumbersome to do, or I might have to make some slight modifications to my jacket. But seeing as its warming up, that wont be much a problem :D

might not be armed yet, but always good to think ahead :mrgreen:
 #14004  by LordJim

Especially since the AG's Office told me I need to use an OWB holster to OC!
Did that letter ever come up during the course of the investigation? Was it ever produced?

I'm wondering if that specific letter didn't save your proverbial bacon with this incident.

-
Jim
 #14007  by dave_in_delaware

LordJim wrote:Did that letter ever come up during the course of the investigation? Was it ever produced?

I'm wondering if that specific letter didn't save your proverbial bacon with this incident.
Letter? What letter? The AG's Office would never provide one of their "opinions" in writing to a citizen! They don't even answer emails - they always tell you to call them. Coincidence? I think not.

I told my lawyer that I had called the AG's Office and asked them specifically about holsters for OC vs CC, and that the AG's office told me it had to be OWB to be legal for OC. I had written this info down at the time of my phone conversation. My lawyer may have mentioned this fact, I don't know.
 #14008  by dave_in_delaware

DragonJames wrote:... Dave, you've seen the length of my coat, It seems it would either be rather un-comfortable/cumbersome to do, or I might have to make some slight modifications to my jacket....
Yeah, a long jacket/coat would be a problem for sure. The Police have a "special" kind of jacket that allows them to OC their duty weapons and access them quickly via some sort of slot (or something - I don't know exactly) in the jacket. You may want to check into that "option" for a DIY project on your own coat. Or just buy a jacket like they use. I've considered this, and may do that once my green jacket dies and I need to replace it.

I think an OC-friendly jacket thread dedicated to this subject is in order soon.... :D
 #14010  by LordJim

Guys,

If you can afford to get your CCDW, please do it. In addition to no longer having to worry about things like "Is my jacket too long?", "am I fully exposed?", "can I go to the barber shop?", you'll get some additional privileges such as being able to penetrate that magical 1,000 boundary near a school. Finally, you'll be sending a message to our elected officials by adding one more name to the list of folks who really do care about their gun rights. Finally, and best of all, you can still continue to carry openly, but can choose to conceal when that might be better option (like going to a Regal cinema, for example).

Aside from the cost I can't see a downside to having a CCDW.

-
Jim
 #14011  by dave_in_delaware

Those are all great reasons to get a CCDW License, but keep in mind that for some of us, cost isn't the reason for NOT getting our License. And I do care about our rights to carry even if it's not by being on a list of those who can CC. So we need to "worry" about jackets, holsters, where we can carry, etc.

(and by the way: Regal Cinema prohibits BOTH OC and CC. Just because you conceal doesn't mean their policy changes).