Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #65625  by MacSTi

I have been reading over the last 2 days on your site and finally decided to post my specific question. I know there has been some threads in the past concerning out of state residents and open carry. Being a MD resident so close to the Delaware border, I am there almost as much as I am in MD. With open carry being legal in DE and once I get my Utah, I will be able to CCDW in DE as well. Wondering what the requirements are for me to OC in DE while travelling through the state. I have read the specific NO-NO's of where not to carry, but what about everywhere else? Do I need to carry proof of purchase with the weapon, will my MD drivers license pass for identification? Has there been big issues in the Bear/Newark region with the LEO's?

Thanks for your help and great reading so far.
 #65634  by Lascivious1

No known issues with OC in Bear/Newark as i carry everyday in Bear. as for out of staters i believe you are free to OC as long as you follow the law here in Delaware.

I'm not expert but im sure one of the more knowledgable people on this subject will stop by.
 #65637  by astro_wanabe

MacSTi wrote:I have been reading over the last 2 days on your site and finally decided to post my specific question.
Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, I recommend reading the FAQ page on this site, as well as the DE Friearms Law pdf that is linked to on the FAQ page. Oh, and nobody here is a lawyer (unless they say otherwise) so don't take anything as professional legal advice. If you need that, see a lawyer.
MacSTi wrote:I know there has been some threads in the past concerning out of state residents and open carry. Being a MD resident so close to the Delaware border, I am there almost as much as I am in MD. With open carry being legal in DE and once I get my Utah, I will be able to CCDW in DE as well. Wondering what the requirements are for me to OC in DE while travelling through the state.
Requirements are the same for residents and non-residents. Without a valid license to carry concealed the gun must be 100% out in the open. Obviously you can't cover it with clothing, and in a vehicle the AG recommends that the gun be on the dash or passenger seat so it will remain plainly visible. Once you get your license you don't need to worry about that, but you're still allowed to OC if you would like to. Honestly your biggest problem may be going from your house to the state line due to MD's restrictive transport laws, which I'm not very familiar with. You may need to transport the handgun in your trunk until you cross the state line into DE, then get it out and OC. Remember that a license is required to carry in the city of Dover due to a grandfathered in local ordinance.
MacSTi wrote:I have read the specific NO-NO's of where not to carry, but what about everywhere else? Do I need to carry proof of purchase with the weapon, will my MD drivers license pass for identification? Has there been big issues in the Bear/Newark region with the LEO's?
No proof of purchase is required. No license or ID is required for OC, however if you're driving you obviously need your driver's license and if you're CCing you should have the Utah license with you too. I haven't had or heard about any problems in the Newark area.
 #65645  by jslacker

No problems carrying around the Fox Run, Govs Square, peoples plaza areas.
 #65657  by bluedog46

Open carry is legal everywhere ( as far as towns and cities go) with the exception of dover as you need a valid license to carry to OC. Wilmington likes to think that OC is not legal, but they are very wrong. I will warn you to expect to be hassled there as more than a few members here have found.

I would also advise you to check the FAQ on the typically no no places like post offices and the like.
 #65660  by georgie c

and remember not to be bullied. the answer when i.d. is demanded is "am i being detained? " or " am i being arrested " i.d. can not be demanded of you for no good reson. you are not breaking any law when open carrying in unrestriced areas. :sparring:
 #112943  by Boots

Remember that a license is required to carry in the city of Dover due to a grandfathered in local ordinance.
This was changed a couple of years ago and carry in Dover is now the same as the rest of the State.