Post questions here about open and concealed carry, as well as general law questions.
 #107410  by KAndrewGoodwin

Well, I was just at the Wilmington DMV on Hessler BLVD earlier today. Signage at the main entry doors clearly states no weapons or firearms. The rather rotund DSP S/CPL working that Pay Job seemed more interested in his cell phone that anything else.
 #107417  by whatevah

myopicvisionary wrote:I just renewed my CDL at the Delaware City DMV. There is a "No firearms or weapons permitted" sign on the front door as you walk in.
I was there on Thursday, didn't notice the sign. Oh, well... :D That was quick, too! 9 minutes door to door to renew my license.
 #109544  by brich2929

I'm at the DMV today for a replacement license. Just noticed the sign.
I don't believe that's lawful. Anyone know if the statute has changed? If so can you cite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #109545  by Trapper

The statute hasn't changed, I've asked a state trooper and a lawyer friend of mine. I can't find anywhere that it says you can't and they have said that they don't know of any law. It continues to only be courthouses as far as they know. People keep saying on the DECCW site that you can't carry in state buildings, but nobody has posted the law.

I work for the state and asked my Human Resources and the Department Secretary and both have said it is only against the workplace policy for a state employee to carry, not against the law.

Maybe it has changed or something and I haven't seen it.

I did ask a capital police officer at the carvel building about it once. I saw the sign and the metal detector, I asked when the law changed to no carry, or when the building had become a courthouse.

He just kept saying "take it up with the Supreme Court justice" I said about what? I asked what law he would arrest me for and he just said "try it and find out". He didn't like that I was wasn't intimidated. I just told him to have a nice day, I needed to get to my training class and he could let me know when he found the law.
 #109547  by Trapper

Amy Blackthorn wrote:Can someone explain why the "Capital Police" operate in Wilmington? Dover is the capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I know the Capital Police are assigned to State Buildings and State Property. I'm not sure why the State Police aren't the ones to do it.

From the website. http://capitolpd.delaware.gov/

Delaware Capitol Police (DCP)

“Dedicated to the protection of specific state facilities through a strategic deployment of resources and law enforcement related technologies.”