Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
  by Condition1

I need some help from the experts. First I must mention that I don't have space in my house to have a bench dedicated for it, therefore I need an equipment (setup) that I can just load in my kitchen table do the work, than unload and pack the equipment back into storage.

I originally thought about a hand press, Lee hand press, but am not too sure about that - I don't want to spend an hour to load 50 rounds. Can you suggest equipment - setup? Also, budget is restricted to less than $300.

Thanks in advance.
  by myopicvisionary

Definitely forget the hand press... this is the 21st century! A friend of mine is also short of space to mount a press. He solved it by remodeling an empty laundry closet. Utilizing a piece of cast off butcher block from an old table, he mounted it in the closet replacing one of the original shelves. To this he mounted his loading press. Clean brass is in a couple of 5-gallon buckets on the floor underneath. Bullets are on the shelf below the press. Powder and primers(in an ammo can) are on the top shelf. He keeps and runs the case cleaner in the garage due to the noise and dust. After adding a deadbolt lock to the closet door, his reloading supplies and loaded ammo is secure from prying little fingers.
  by Tony T

Get a piece of 2x10 or 12 and bolt the press to it. Hold it down to the table with c-clamps.

Not a bad deal on a starter kit, can be found at places for a little cheaper. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
  by Jason

X2 on the board i seen a guy clamp a board to his kitchen table..

I have this set..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20847&rid=

Well it works never timed the output i do not have primer attachment so im slow with it lol..

Works id say if i had the primer attachment 50 rounds 15 min.

Press was 110$, Dies are 45$, I have more time than money lol

Just my .02 Tony i like that press.. some day i will upgrade lol
  by bluedog46

i am going to be getting into reloading from tips i learned from people here. Thanks all its good to meet people that are not afraid to share info.

Here is my question.

I just started saving brass ( and others nice enough to not want theirs) but i am not going to reload yet, but save the rounds. is there anything special i should do to them now? Like soak them in rubbing alcohol or something. I am very new so you might need to explain in detail if you are talking about a certain piece of equipment.
  by Condition1

bluedog46 wrote:i am going to be getting into reloading from tips i learned from people here. Thanks all its good to meet people that are not afraid to share info.

Here is my question.

I just started saving brass ( and others nice enough to not want theirs) but i am not going to reload yet, but save the rounds. is there anything special i should do to them now? Like soak them in rubbing alcohol or something. I am very new so you might need to explain in detail if you are talking about a certain piece of equipment.
When I started reloading I didn't have a tumbler so I soaked the cases on white vinegar for an hour or two, then I rinsed the off with water, let them dry then stored them. Which caliber are you going to reload?
  by bluedog46

right now the caliber will just be 9mm and 38 special. I might eventually get something bigger myself like a glock 40sw or 10mm, but i really like my glock 17 and dont think i would really like another gun much. Probably just sentimental value since its my first pistol.

Once i get my ar 15 i also will probably reload .223 remington.
  by myopicvisionary

You don't have to get all of your equipment at once. Since your saving up funds and brass, start by getting a case cleaner. I bought the original large Dillon one back in the '80s and it is still humming along. You don't need a media/brass seperator right off. I started by using a square of rat wire over a five gallon bucket.
  by stephpd

The most basic press kit I know of is the Lee Anniversary ~$90
http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee ... erralID=NA

The tumbler I got was this one on sale for ~$40.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=587176

For medium use walnut shell lizard litter (or bunny) from a pet store. Polishing agent is Nu-Finish from the auto parts store.(Just a cap full)

You really don't need to do anything to the brass while waiting to get the press. But it looks nicer and saves the dies on the press if you clean them. Just stay away from products that contain ammonia.

For separating the medium from the brass I use a colander and a bucket. We had 3 plastic ones in the kitchen. Just remember that once used for reloads it shouldn't go back into the kitchen.(lead)
  by bluedog46

"For separating the medium from the brass I use a colander and a bucket. We had 3 plastic ones in the kitchen. Just remember that once used for reloads it shouldn't go back into the kitchen.(lead)"

what does this mean? The stuff you are seperating from the brass.