Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #62651  by bluedog46

Ok thought this might be a good topic to get some thoughts on. I have been dabbling with the idea of getting into reloading as far as gathering materials and saving my brass. I was also figuring that conversion kits can accomplish a similar goal or cheap practice.

I met one guy at targetmaster that told me he buys a .22 version of every gun he has for the reason of saving money on ammo. supposedly if you are connected you can spend 4 cents for a round of .22lr while a 9mm round is about 19 cents and a relaod costs about .10cents? ( I am not 100% on that)

Now with that being the case what are everyones thoughts on the factor of no labor for reloading if you just have to change a slide, plus the savings.

I plan to still do some reloading, but thought this was really intresting when I read a couple posts on it on some other boards.

And I am VERY aware that a .22lr will not have the kick of a .45acp.
 #62653  by astro_wanabe

bluedog46 wrote:supposedly if you are connected you can spend 4 cents for a round of .22lr while a 9mm round is about 19 cents and a relaod costs about .10cents? ( I am not 100% on that)
Wallyworld's cheap bulk 22lr is regularly ~$19 per 550 rounds = 3.45 cents per round, cheap 9mm (Rem UMC) can easily run around 20 cents each depending on sales/bulk ordering (last Dick's sale was $9.99/50rds if memory serves). No idea about reloads, and anything of quality is obviously going to climb in price quickly.
 #62654  by myopicvisionary

I built a .22LR M1911 from a Capian NM frame and a Kimber conversion unit. Very accurate! And light due to the aluminum slide, carries on the trail like a kit gun.
 #62658  by Lascivious1

isn't a 22 alittle to small for you fella's?
This is something you consider for your daily OC? you're just talking for range and shooting cans right?
 #62676  by bluedog46

the .22 or conversion would be totally a way to have cheap practic. My EDC piece is my glock 17. Ocassionally I carry my ati 1911 commander
 #62702  by bluedog46

I saw that. WAY TOO HIGH ( probably why they had not sold it) for a conversion kit that I plan to shoot. Especially with no warranty. Most I would paid is about $260 i had seem some new for and used probably $200 depending on what they had.

Hell for that I could buy a pretty decent 1911 or a bunch of ammo a 22
 #62706  by jslacker

Very true Blue. It's too spendy for my blood as well, but hey Colt demands top dollar for some reason. ;)