Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #72830  by bmel17

What are decent prices on lead? I have a guy that has 150 lbs and two 5 gallon buckets full of wheel weights. He wants me to make a reasonable offer, any help on the reasonable part?

Thanks!
 #72834  by Frank

I did a web search, fouund the price to vary from $0.60/lb (scrap), to $1.06/ lb.
 #72835  by bmel17

Thanks Frank! Helps out with a price I can negotiate
 #73226  by desteve811

I doubt its all lead. Use to get 2 five gallon buckets full of wheel weights from a tire shop before I moved. I can bet atleast half will be zinc or steel. If u.can stratch it with ur finger nail, its lead. Make sure u seperate the wheel weights before smelting them. Don't want to contaminate it with the.zinc. also have to take the steel clips in affect too if you doing.it by weight.of bucket. The last five gallon bucket I filled with lead wheel weights it weight was 110lbs I was able to get 85lbs of clean lead. 25lbs of it was the clips and drouse I skimmed off.

If u see zinc, steel, and junk like tire stems in them I would offer a low price due to more work for you to do..30-.35 cents a pound.
 #73227  by desteve811

I doubt its all lead. Use to get 2 five gallon buckets full of wheel weights from a tire shop before I moved. I can bet atleast half will be zinc or steel. If u.can stratch it with ur finger nail, its lead. Make sure u seperate the wheel weights before smelting them. Don't want to contaminate it with the.zinc. also have to take the steel clips in affect too if you doing.it by weight.of bucket. The last five gallon bucket I filled with lead wheel weights it weight was 110lbs I was able to get 85lbs of clean lead. 25lbs of it was the clips and drouse I skimmed off.

If u see zinc, steel, and junk like tire stems in them I would offer a low price due to more work for you to do..30-.35 cents a pound.