Discuss handloading, reloading and presses here.
 #97337  by flaminyon

Couldn't erase the thread, so I erased my posts.
Last edited by flaminyon on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #97339  by Surface Dragon

I wish I could help you but the only thing I know is that the Glock 29 is a beast. I've heard that it shreds those aftermarket recoil buffers to pieces and with the addition of a 6 inch barrel it becomes the most powerful Glock that you can get.(note - please do not put a factory 6 inch barrel for the G20 in your G29. The lugs are different and it will make your firearm lock up.)

I personally carry a Glock 19 along with 1(or sometimes 2) spare mag(s) right now.16 rounds of 135gr and 15 rounds of 147gr Federal Hydra-Shok ammo in (each of) the spare mag(s). I feel like the 9mm has a nice balance to it, the recoil doesn't negatively affect follow up shots, has decent power without over penetrating, its cheap, easy to find, and its easy to carry lots of it. I feel that in a defensive situation it might be more advantageous to have 2 rounds of 9mm rather than 1 round of something more powerful/cumbersome like 10mm or 45acp.

That being said I would still love to try shooting a Glock 29.

I would also like to thank you and give you a high five for loading your own rounds, being cool enough to shoot 10mm comfortably, owning a Glock, and making such an awesome first post!
 #97484  by stephpd

Strange. You say you've reloaded many rounds but you seem to forget the basic rules of working up a new load and went for a hot load straight up. There's a reason all the books recommend working up a load and number one is to keep from happening what happened to you, or worse.

The idea of working up a load is to find what works best and is the most accurate for your gun. I'd have to say that the hot load you used isn't the best for your gun.

The hornady 4th manual has a 180 gr and max is 10.6 gr of blue dot. The 200 gr bullet has a max load of 8.9. So it would seem for a 185 gr bullet you've gone past the max with 10.5 grains where they always state to use with caution. Max would be 10.4gr. And from what Ive read blue dot gets bad near max loads.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 42932.html
HSMITH
"BE CAREFUL with Blue Dot. It gets WICKEDLY nasty with little or no warning near the top of the data. It is extremely temperature sensitive and extremely position sensitive in low density loadings. Lot to lot variations are pretty good sized, max loads MUST be worked up with each lot."
 #97486  by Owen

I load 40S&W not 10mm so I am not much help. I do know a guy who loads 10mm I will ask him when I see him next. But I think he uses a different powder. Locking open that hard sounds like too much energy in my opinion.

In general I would not recommend hand loads for self defense. Better to use factory defense loads, or at least that's what I've been told.
 #97491  by flaminyon

Erased.
 #97493  by Owen

flaminyon wrote:All in all, my next step will be to try other powders and check the results. I am however, not completely sold on the idea that the Glock can't be equipped to handle the full power loads. I've been chasing the 10mm long enough to know it can be done. I guess I might just be Captain Ahab chasing the white 10mm load.
I lol'd at the Moby Dick reference, nice! :applause:

I've read that lighter loads can cause pressure spikes because or extremely rapid powder burn. As in all the powder burns all at once instead of a paced out building. We are talking fractions of a second here but the pressure is still happening. That may be why you are getting torn cases with the lighter loads. I definitely agree with trying different powders. There is a relative burn rate chart (sorry don't have it at work) that will let you determine if you are going faster or slower as you test new powders. I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. :) I do like the reloading hobby - I load 9mm, 40, 357SIG, 223, 300BLK. For me it is almost as much fun as shooting sometimes figuring it all out. :geek:
 #97494  by flaminyon

Erased.
 #97522  by Owen

I've seen that before. It looks like the cases ruptured due to "hoop stess". As pressure built and the case was the weak link instead of the bullet "popping" out. Could be the many fired cases could also be too tight of crimp if the OAL is known good one. I've read that in 40 S&W length can be too long and the bullet sits on the rifling so it doesn't have a chance to "get moving" before it gets squeezed by the barrel. This can cause pressure spikes too. I guess I'm saying it could be weakened brass but I'd double check the other "fundamentals" of your load as well. I know I measure my chamber with a fired case and bullet inserted loose. You push it in and it will set the bullet back in the case to the length where you hit the rifling. This is based on bullet shape as well as chamber length and it gives you an idea of how long is to long. I need to get a book on ballistics engineering because the pressure propagation is a really neat concept.
 #97528  by harr2969

Second what was said above... Don't use handloads for self defense, read Mas or search Google for various reasons why.
 #97530  by Boots

harr2969 wrote:Second what was said above... Don't use handloads for self defense, read Mas or search Google for various reasons why.
Agreed.

And meanwhile it seems you're damaging your gun with your home-brew 'full power' loads.