Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #104625  by Red Alert

I've been looking around for an AR but can't seem to figure out which one I want. Price and quality are a factor. Looking to stay around 750 or under.

I've checked out online Anderson, Diamondback, Ruger, Mennie Machine, and Armalite.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Anderson. Just wondering what other folks have in this price range. Any points and advice would be greatly appreciated. This is extremely new territory for me so please be open minded with me here.

Thank you all in advance...
 #104628  by Red Alert

Like I stated. This is new territory for me. I wouldn't even know where to begin. One thing for sure. I watched a show over the weekend that had a pistol compartment in the stock of the AR. That would be awesome...
 #104629  by 2xTony

Your best bet would be to buy the upper you want and then just slap a lower together. If you can strip you hand gun you can pin together a stripped lower no problem. Ive built a decent 20" A2 style for about 500 and i have a really neat 7.5" are pistol i threw together last summer.
 #104630  by astro_wanabe

Red Alert wrote:Like I stated. This is new territory for me. I wouldn't even know where to begin.
It's really not that hard. Basic hand tools and a bench vice are about all you need to assemble an AR, though a vice block and headspace gauges are very nice to have (you might be able to borrow them, which is probably a good idea if you don't plan on building any more AR's). I'd recommend starting with some video demonstrations. You can even just follow along as you're building. I found this series helpful during my build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxkQAKk ... 52EB8FDA96
Red Alert wrote:One thing for sure. I watched a show over the weekend that had a pistol compartment in the stock of the AR. That would be awesome...
Meh, can't say I like the aesthetics, it seems a bit cumbersome, and it isn't cheap, but to each their own. It may help balance the rifle some at least. Here's a link to some info on it:
http://www.guns.com/2015/01/22/mule-tac ... ock-stock/
 #104632  by Red Alert

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into that more...
 #104638  by Owen

+1 to the build it. Funny but true video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glk1qMbj7S0

I bought at first but after making one I have to say it's the way to go. The problem with buying one is that you will inevitably see a cool new part you want for your AR and eventually you can put in/on so many changes that the original parts are just sitting around.

I suggest getting a stripped lower and parts kit and then watching a you-tube video on assembly. I literally did that and built the lower in less than a hour with only hand tools: taped channel lock pliers and one punch and hammer.

Then you can take your time planning the rest build. Trying out other peoples rifles, looking at Viper's stock, surfing the web, and such to get an idea on what you want for the rest.

I am by no means an expert but would be happy to answer any questions you have.
 #104639  by DuramaxLLY7

I have read alot of reviews and watched multiple review videos on youtube of the new'ish Mossberg MMR AR15 and have yet to see or hear a bad review about it. They range depending on where you buy them from $750-$900. Only special or difference with this AR from most others is it is not built with a forward-assist. Here is a link of a youtube review if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cGZ3mqvDBA
 #104679  by TexasJay

Buy the upper you want from a company like palmetto statearmory.com (they always have good deals on nice uppers) rainier arms or bravo company usa (the latter are pricier but generally have very high quality stuff) and slap it on an aluminum or milled lower bought from whoever you fancy. The lower really doesn't matter that much (unless you're building a competition gun) as most all lowers are built to the same specs. Its the upper and barrel that really matter. Just stay away from poly lowers. Some people swear by them but they're just too new and untested for me to put any trust in.
 #104681  by 2xTony

All the broken polly lowers i see online seems like enough proof for me. Is it really worth it to buy a $50 lower that can break over a $70 lower that wont?