Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #105263  by Red Alert

Hello folks. Sorry I haven't been around much. Life is crazy in the family.

Looking for a subcompact or compact pistol and need some advice or ideas on what's out there. I prefer a .40 cal.

I've been checking out the Beretta Storm Subcompact. I like how it looks and how it felt in my hand while I was @ Vipers last time. Before I waste the busy man's time I want an idea what I'm looking for.

Anyone else have subcompact pistols they like? Looking to CC with it. My current .40 is just too big so looking to be able to switch back and fourth between it and the subcompact.

Also looked @ the Ruger SR40c online. Looks like a nice pistol but never had a chance to see one in person. Anyone have a review on it?

Thanks for your time...
 #105264  by dave_in_delaware

I love my XD-9 sub-compact. Very comfortable in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster (carry at 2:00). Also prefer the Springfield ergonomics over Glock.

Springfield Armory also makes the 3" XD in 40:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... ct-40-cal/ (original XD)
http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... pact-40sw/ (Mod.2)
 #105265  by Red Alert

I was checking out the XD3. Looks sweet looking...
 #105266  by dave_in_delaware

I'll be in DE this coming Friday evening and Sunday evening for a little while if you want to check my XD out in person, get a feel for it, get an idea on the size. Mine is a 9mm not the 40, but I think the difference is negligible.
 #105267  by pick_six

hay red. i have the storm sc in 9mm. don't like it.

just something about it that is a little awkward. the safety is difficult to work quickly, for me.

the slide isn't smooth like some others i have. wife really has difficulty working it. wife prefers the p90, which is 45cal, to the storm. (in general shooting terms, not specifically for cc)

and right now, i have it boxed up to return for service. takedown retaining clip popped out, pilot error, but they do not allow anyone but their own to work on. won't even sell the part to a certified gun smith.

i have only ever sold 2 guns, since the late 70's. this one will go, at some point, sooner then later. chalking it up to experience.
Red Alert wrote:Hello folks. Sorry I haven't been around much. Life is crazy in the family.

Looking for a subcompact or compact pistol and need some advice or ideas on what's out there. I prefer a .40 cal.

I've been checking out the Beretta Storm Subcompact. I like how it looks and how it felt in my hand while I was @ Vipers last time. Before I waste the busy man's time I want an idea what I'm looking for.

Anyone else have subcompact pistols they like? Looking to CC with it. My current .40 is just too big so looking to be able to switch back and fourth between it and the subcompact.

Also looked @ the Ruger SR40c online. Looks like a nice pistol but never had a chance to see one in person. Anyone have a review on it?

Thanks for your time...
 #105269  by 2xTony

The new hk p30sk looks like a really nice gun. Itll be in .40 and 9mm. It seems like its about the size of a glock 26 but double action with a rail.
 #105270  by Red Alert

Thanks for the input guys. Dave, sounds like a plan if time allows for both of us...
 #105272  by whatevah

I love my Walther PPS. Single stack, holds 5-7+1rds depending on the magazine... same size as the M&P Shield but a trigger, no safety and the German magazine release. The size is perfect, I think it's the slimmest .40 you can get. It's also very accurate. Look at that or the M&P Shield if you want a .40 CCW gun.

I do like the Ruger SR40C, it's not a lot bigger but holds 9+1 and you can use the 15rd mags from the SR40 for spare or range use. Has an amazing trigger, too. See if you can rent it at Target Master to get a feel for it.
 #105273  by dave_in_delaware

Red Alert wrote:... Dave, sounds like a plan if time allows for both of us...
PM inbound.