Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #1017  by myopicvisionary

I am curious as to what some of our members are doing for their ongoing personal firearms training. I usually train at Ommelanden or Elk Neck. I document everytime I fire any of my firearms. The date, time and location of my practice is noted. The number of rounds fired, the distance and the target used is recorded. A description of the course of fire used, such as:
1 round at 5 yrds strong hand only from the holster, repeat 10 times. score_____
2 round at 5 yrds strong hand only from the holster, repeat 10 times. score_____
2 round at 5 yrds weak hand only from a low ready, repeat 10 times. score_____
1 round at 10 yrds two hands from a low ready, reload and fire 1 round, repeat 10 times. score_____

If ever dragged into court and your skill with a firearm is questioned, it would be good to be able to show proof of training. The record book at Ommelanden could be called in as evidence as well.
 #1025  by LordJim

I'm hitting the range at least once a week, and when I can, twice. I've thought in the past about keeping a logbook and after reading your post I can see where it might be a good idea.

-
Jim
 #1056  by myopicvisionary

Aside from saving your butt legally. It it needed to track your skill progress.
 #1069  by stephpd

Reminds me of the movie Sentinel--- When taking the lie detector test to find the mole one of the agents was asked if he had received adequate training for his job.

Answer "No!" :D
 #1090  by Wynder

A lawyer's first reaction would be that, unless your records were notarized, they're questionable... but the logbook from Ommelanden would certainly be helpful to prove that you'd been there that often, not to mention match scores and whatnot.

I do wish I could get some private training, if not just to be more consistent.
 #1113  by myopicvisionary

Oh yeah, a lawyer can and will question anything and everything. But if a lawyer does question your competancy with firearms, you will look better to the jury if you can document your skills confidently. Much better than "I practice sometimes".
 #1114  by Wynder

I'd take the court out to a field trip to the range and let them see. :)
 #1115  by myopicvisionary

That would be my counter to the lawyer questioning my veracity.
 #2345  by dave_in_delaware

This all brings to question:

If any of us would need to defend ourselves w/ our firearms, and someone (attacker) ended up being killed....

How much and what kind of training are we "expected" to have to convince a Court that we are competant enough w/ our firearm?? What's the standard to which we'd be judged?
 #2352  by myopicvisionary

Seeing how trials can go way off track as to the matter at hand and the prosecution starts head hunting, I want as much in my favor as possible. Carry as stock a pistol as possible. Carry only factory ammunition. Dress appropriately when carrying.... Isn't it true sir that at the time of the shooting you were wearing a shirt that says "Kill them all, let God sort them out"? Document your training. Get to know the range personnel... "Yes sir, I have observed Mr. X many times at the range. He has always been a safety conscious person and a man of great humility not prone to excitation".