Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #2355  by LordJim

Can someone help me understand this? It's directly from Ruger's support site: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... &cat=7#Q60
Can I dry fire my Ruger P-Series and .22 pistols?
Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm. However, be sure any firearm is completely unloaded before dry firing!
All my life I've been led to believe that dry firing a rimfire pistol or rifle was a Bad Thing. How is it now OK?

Edit: Found this over at The Firing Line:
They may use a firing pin block like Ruger does. A small cross pin limits the travel of the firing pin so that it can't make contact with the receiver. As a result, Ruger claims it's OK to dry fire their .22's. Dry firing a Ruger .22 pistol is also a necessary step in the take down/reassembly process.

Like the poster over there I think I'll use snap caps just to be on the safe side of things.

-
Jim
 #2356  by myopicvisionary

It is OK to drop the hammer on an empty Ruger .22 pistol. The firing pin stop must be installed to keep the firing pin from impacting the edge of the chamber. When you disassemble the pistol, you have to insert an empty magazine to dry fire it so the hammer can be down as per the manual.
 #2365  by Wynder

From what I've heard, there's actually a notch drilled into the chamber there so the pin doesn't impact it.

Doesn't hurt to get a set of .22 snapcaps, too.
 #2366  by myopicvisionary

My Ruger MkIII 22/45 has no such notch. The firing pin is limited in it's forward travel to stop just short of hitting the chamber.