Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.

What was my problem?

Your gun was dirty.
29%
It did not have enough lube.
43%
Your extractor needs to be tuned.
No votes
0%
Over pressurized ammunition.
No votes
0%
Other (with explanation)
29%
 #84860  by jslacker

I took my AR out to the range the other day and she was a one hitter quitter. It would fire only one to two rounds before malfunctioning. I think I have troubleshot my problems but since I am not very experienced yet in the wonderful world of AR's I wanted to run it by you fine guys and gals here and get your input.

I was having problems with the fired round "sticking" causing the case's rim to be ripped by the extractor and a fresh round to double feed. I think I have narrowed the problem down to one of two things, or a combination of both. I either did not clean my chamber well enough from the last time I shot it(I'm going to buy a AR chamber brush in the near future), or it was ran not wet enough. Perusing the interwebs I heard/read a lot about over pressured ammo, but since I was shooting factory ammo and this is mostly an issue with reloads I don't think that was the issue, not that it couldn't happen...

I am hoping it is one of the above issues instead of something that needs some fixing/tuning(thinking extractor). I have included some pictures to make it easier to help me! Thanks DELOC

Ripped rim:

I ended up with a few of these:
 #84862  by Guard_Duck

Clean the chamber, and disassemble and clean the BCG. Start there, and that should help a lot. Make sure you ger the stagger right on the gas rings when you put it back together.

I don't think you have to do anything with the extractor, if it's ripping the rim on the case, I'd say it's working.
 #84863  by jslacker

white95zj wrote:...Make sure you get the stagger right on the gas rings when you put it back together.
I staggered them when putting them back in but i notice they dont really stay in place, they spin around with ease. Is that normal? ETA: I have been told this not a problem and is normal for them to do this.
 #84866  by Guard_Duck

My bad on the spelling, I'm using IE at work, no spell check/autocorrect.

The vid you posted shows what happens with a weak extractor, but based on the fact it ripping the rim of the case, I don't think thats the issue. Seems more like the cases are sticking it the chamber, and the extractor is keeping a death grip so to speak.
 #84867  by cj45lc

The gas rings will spin around & shouldn't be a problem

What kind of mags are you using ?
 #84868  by jslacker

cj45lc wrote:The gas rings will spin around & shouldn't be a problem

What kind of mags are you using ?
I was using the supplied steel mag from Stag, and Pmags... both had the issues... This was the first thing I checked. The rounds feed fine, its just them getting stuck to the chamber wall is the problem.
 #84870  by viper98

You need to clean the chamber with a good bore brush..Probably proper break in procedures were not followed....If you don't have a good brush stop over and i'll give you one....
 #84875  by cahill85

I wonder if you need a heavier buffer to slow down that extractor
 #84876  by brich2929

cahill85 wrote:I wonder if you need a heavier buffer to slow down that extractor
That was my second thought after dirty/too dry