Semi-automatics, revolvers, long guns... ask questions and offer tips on safe, accurate shooting here.
 #91704  by Taurus247

So went to carrying my Glock 17 and looking at doing some changes to it. The first thing is changing out the trigger. I was looking at going down to the 3.5lb trigger however the big question that I hear debated all of the time is what if you have to use your weapon in self defense and the prosecution says something about changing out the trigger?

Now personally I think that if its a good shoot you should be fine whether its a 1lb trigger or a 50lb trigger (obviously and exaggeration) but has anyone had any experience, knowledge or know of any cases where doing mods like this has come back to bite them later?

Same with my AR BTW...
 #91707  by scampbell3

There are probably going to be many different opinions on this subject. As for me, the firearms that I use for EDC are stock. I do not alter the function or parts for my SD firearms. Those that I use at the range or in competition (long time ago) have been modified to meet a specific type of shooting, but these are NOT used for everyday use.

I do not know of a specific legal case (there maybe) that emphasized wether or not a firearm used in a self defense situation was altered or modified and was used against the shooter, but I do not see it out of the realm of possibility.

Modifications to a firearm are generally done to improve or change the operation/function of the firearm for specific purposes (usually around improving accuracy and speed). Self defense is a much different situation then that of a steel plate, or speed shooting competition.

Just my opinion.

Chip
 #91708  by myopicvisionary

I would not modify the fire control system of any firearm I would likely use in a self defense situation. So altering the trigger pull, modifying or eliminating safeties would not be done. My CC handgun is a stock Ruger LCR. My OC handgun which is also my competition and home defense pistol is a Kimber Custom II. The only modification on it is wraparound rubber grips to maximize my control of the pistol in rapid fire. MY HD shotgun is a factory stock Remington 870HD. The only addition done to it is the addition of a flashlight for target identification.
 #91709  by MrCoolDale

Putting the possible legal ramifications aside, I look at the reliability of the firearm. The Glock 17 and Glock 19 have battlefield-proven reliability with the stock fire control group. Once you start modifying your firearm, no matter how small, simple, or easy the modification is, you risk the possibility of reducing the reliability of that firearm. Hoping I replaced the trigger bar/group correctly and nothing has worked itself loose over time is not a situation in which I want to find myself if I need the firearm immediately.

Glock pistols are fairly cheap. If you're looking to modify one, buy a second.

For me, I don't use my Glock 17 for carrying; I plan to modify it pretty heavily.
 #91710  by spillanej

Personally I would never use modified action parts for every day carry. The parts that come with it are tried and true, ten billion shots certified from companies like glock and sig.

Edit: not saying it will last ten billion shots. Saying they have been used in at least ten billion shots.