Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #108379  by jslacker

Hello all, long time no talk to!
I will be purchasing a sling here in the near future for my AR-15, and can’t quite nail down which attachment option I would like, or would benefit the most from. I am leaning toward a Magpul sling, but can’t decide if I would be better suited with QD attachment, the paraclip attachment, or a hybrid of both (I am thinking possibly, a clip in the front and QD in the rear). I figured one or two of you here may have experience with one or the other or both and would be able to offer your input and thoughts.

I have a Stag model 1 carbine length with the traditional sling loop attached under the front sight post and a Magpul CTR stock with the QD hole in the rear. My rifle is only ever shot at the range, and is my main long gun in the event that SHTF. I am not opposed to adding a QD receiver end plate to accommodate a one point attachment (I want to be able to have 1 point and 2 point attachment capabilities), but am mulling over all of the options and am lost on this too. If I were to go all QD I would need some sort of rail attachment for the front end

I just want to hear your thoughts on the two different style connections and what you perceive the pros and cons to be. I have heard of people talking badly about the QD stating there is too much of a chance for accidental activation and your rifle go crashing to the deck. On the other hand I have heard of noise complaints with the traditional attachment with the clips, people stating that the rattle sound is too much to handle. Hopefully your input can give me more to consider when making my choice.

If you need more information from me in regards to the rifle etc to offer feedback let me know. Thanks in advance all!
 #108382  by pick_six

I have a Magpul and I believe it's ms2. It has the the clip like attachment, not the newer qd / ratchet post ball push type.

It adjusts quickly from close to body to hanging a bit lower, looser.

I think that if you can change the attachment points to the newer qd, on both the sling and the rifle.
 #108387  by Owen

I use a VTAC 2-point sling. I like QD mounts so I use the Magpul RSA on the top rail for the front point and my stock has a QD point for the rear. The RSA can move it to where you like. https://www.magpul.com/products/rsa-qd

#108390  by jslacker

Owen wrote:I use a VTAC 2-point sling. I like QD mounts so I use the Magpul RSA on the top rail for the front point and my stock has a QD point for the rear. The RSA can move it to where you like. https://www.magpul.com/products/rsa-qd

So you do the clip in the front on the RSA and the QD in the rear on the stock? Have you ever had a QD connection become disengaged inadvertently?
 #108391  by Owen

jslacker wrote:So you do the clip in the front on the RSA and the QD in the rear on the stock? Have you ever had a QD connection become disengaged inadvertently?
I use QD front and QD rear. I've never had a good quality QD fail. Some of the Chinese copies are pretty loose and I've had problems with them. The ones I have are from Troy. The sling is on the left side of the rifle so it will interact with me. But I don't usually wear a chest rig or crawl around with it under me. I just like QDs for easy removal of the sling.

A buddy of mine when deployed had all the gear on so they just put a carabiner on the stock and then clipped in to a D-ring on their chest.