Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #69783  by dave_in_delaware

I just came back from my local gun store. Unfortunately they have not received their shipment of safes, so all they had at the time was a little 5-gun safe to look at....
 #69831  by tom_20m

Lascivious1 wrote:Just going in TM today i found out alot about safes.
I know now i dont want to buy one unless i get to see it first hand.

one thing i found out is the liberty safes in Lowes are made in USA and half if not more of the libery safes on their website are made in china. the guy at TM showed me where and how to look this info up since i had so many questions.

I was also shocked to find that one safe for $1300 was the same price as a safe that was 2 times the size of it. and the only reason the smaller safe was a higher price was becasue of the fire proctection. which i dont even care about since i have full insurance on everything i own. well almost everything... not my toothbrush lol

Anyway i have narrowed it down to a Liberty Colonial 23 gun safe marked at $1300 damn thing is huge though. i still dont know if i should get such a big safe. it just bothers me that if im gonna spend that money for a smaller safe just because its fire protection is better i rather get the bigger one.

Anyway i learned alot today. im about a month away fro geting my safe so its crunch time.

BTW, if i decide to get a safe that is in philly or MD anyone want to lend me their truck to go get it? ill gas her up!! :D
I've got a truck, but you're better off renting a uhaul double axle trailer to put the safe in due to the weight. We could go pick her up. Only problem is how you getting it up to the APT? Also if you're concern about fire rating, you could frame your safe in with extra sheets of drywall. Just layer that baby around it.
 #69833  by Lascivious1

Finally made my desicion. But, ill still take any opinions you guys have.
I decided to get the Liberty Colonial 23 gun safe. 565lbs
http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonia ... -ps-7.html

I'm not gonna get the red version. going to go with black with black chrome parts.
the two main reasons im going with it is...

1: they are one of a few that will follow up on a lifetime warranty even if you dont have it bolted down. since where i live they wont let me bolt it down this is a BIG plus for me.

2: it weighs 565lbs. try carrying that bitch out my door :pointlaugh: let alone down 3 fliets of steps. yeh i know its gonna be a hell of a day getting it up there but i think i can get it doen with 2 other friends and the right handtruck.

Now just gotta wait 3 weeks and im going shopping!
Still alittle concerned if this floor will hold the weight. :?
 #69834  by dave_in_delaware

You definitely need one of those heavy-duty dollies that can "walk" up stairs by themselves.

Either that or a handful of strong guys who will require pizza/beer/chiropractor once it's moved in!

As far as the apartment floor holding it up, if you get a call from your downstairs neighbor....
 #69837  by astro_wanabe

dave_in_delaware wrote:You definitely need one of those heavy-duty dollies that can "walk" up stairs by themselves.
You mean an "appliance dolly" with the tank treads to go up & down stairs like THIS ONE? If he doesn't have access to one they can be rented from U-Haul for $10/day: http://www.uhaul.com/RentalItems/

Or are you referring to something motorized?
 #69845  by Lascivious1

astro_wanabe wrote:
dave_in_delaware wrote:You definitely need one of those heavy-duty dollies that can "walk" up stairs by themselves.
You mean an "appliance dolly" with the tank treads to go up & down stairs like THIS ONE? If he doesn't have access to one they can be rented from U-Haul for $10/day: http://www.uhaul.com/RentalItems/

na that hand truck is what i need. im gonna talk tot he office and see what they say about weight. i did talk to one maintenance guy about it and he said it would hold no problem but i wanna make sure becasue if it does go through the floor i wanna make sure im not help responsible and they told me it was safe.
 #69848  by CorBon

Lascivious1 wrote:I was also shocked to find that one safe for $1300 was the same price as a safe that was 2 times the size of it. and the only reason the smaller safe was a higher price was becasue of the fire proctection. which i dont even care about since i have full insurance on everything i own. well almost everything... not my toothbrush lol
:D
Protecting your own stuff is more favorable than relying on an insurance company. You would be amazed at the amount of obstacles you would face during a claim including: can you prove it that you even owned the item(s); what condition (was it) (were they) in; and what kind of limits do you have on firearms? The limits on specifc classes of items is something that many people overlook, but can be bumped up with riders.

And that's not even to say that we don't see an executive order making replacing what you lost -- legally impossible.

Theft in an apartment building is something that you have a little bit of control over (not much, but a little). Fire in an apartment building -- completely out of your control.

And despite their popularity, many locksmiths will tell you to avoid the electronic locks.

Good luck on the stairs!!!
 #69856  by phlydude

Lascivious1 wrote:
astro_wanabe wrote:

na that hand truck is what i need. im gonna talk tot he office and see what they say about weight. i did talk to one maintenance guy about it and he said it would hold no problem but i wanna make sure becasue if it does go through the floor i wanna make sure im not help responsible and they told me it was safe.
I used to be over 500 lbs...(yeah, I know) and I never met a floor that wouldn't hold me!
 #69899  by Lascivious1

CorBon wrote:
Lascivious1 wrote:I was also shocked to find that one safe for $1300 was the same price as a safe that was 2 times the size of it. and the only reason the smaller safe was a higher price was becasue of the fire proctection. which i dont even care about since i have full insurance on everything i own. well almost everything... not my toothbrush lol
:D

And despite their popularity, many locksmiths will tell you to avoid the electronic locks.

Good luck on the stairs!!!

I know what your saying and i think about this feature to many times. i personally dont mind having a manual dial to get in. but im thinking on the part of what if i need to get in fast!!
I still have time tot hink about it but i just cant come up with a decision on this one.
 #69901  by WPCatfish

Shoulda got the red one.