Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #68046  by Lascivious1

Does anyone have suggestions on which i should get. the options are Aimpoint or Eotech.

I been looking at a set of BUIS but everything is in the $200 range and i was thinking for that little bit of metal and price i might as well add a few more hundred and jst get a kick ass scope or red dot system. soo....

As for Eotech i cant decided which i would want. i do know that i would like to put atleast a 3 or 4X magnifier with it so i cant tell which model would be a perfect fit.

As for Aimpoint i really been eyeing the Com M2 model. the best deal so far i found with this is a package deal that comes with one GG&G rear sight with the Com M2 and its mount for $550
Is that a good deal?
why does it come with a rear sight if i already got a red dot system? and what good is the rear sight if i dont have a front? lol

Some one with great knowledge in this area please enlighten me
 #68048  by bmel17

BUIS are different than other optics. The point of them is "backup" incase the the optic fails. If you were in the field and your Eotech batteries died, the sight is pretty much useless. If the rifles dropped during the course of the day and the scope is damaged, it's useless. That is when the BUIS come into play.

The aim point comes with that rear on the premise that there is a front sight post on the rifle. A rear without a front is useless.

Some people like Eotech/Aimpoint better, why? They just do. Look at both and see which you'd like better. It's best you find one that suits your needs best. That being said, I prefer Eotech. Even though my unit's newer duty weapons came with Aimpoints in our kit.
 #68514  by Lascivious1

ok, let me beat the horse. i just learned about Trijicon ACOG scopes :D

Question: if i were to spend the $1k on one would i really still need iron sights?

from my understanding these sights are not battery operated and i would never have to worry about power since if i am correct they are powered by air gas in some way.

the only reason i fell on to this.. well long story youtube stuff. but i realized if i were to by iron sights, and decent red dot scope and a magnifier it would be easily around $800. with maybe $100 or 2 more i could just get a sweet ACOG that would have scope/dot/and magnifier all in one.

your thoughts? especially you military guys since i know your firmiliar with ACOG's
 #68515  by myopicvisionary

Battery powered or not, optics have lenses which can break. Any weapon that I must trust my life on will have iron sights no matter what. My AR15 has an Aimpoint backed up by a Troy front BUIS and a Matech rear BUIS.
 #68516  by Mirlen

ACOGs have fiber optic lighting for reticle lighting in sun and also have a tritium lit option I believe (radioactive) for night.
 #68518  by Lascivious1

myopicvisionary wrote:Battery powered or not, optics have lenses which can break. Any weapon that I must trust my life on will have iron sights no matter what. My AR15 has an Aimpoint backed up by a Troy front BUIS and a Matech rear BUIS.
point well taken.
 #68616  by cslade454

With the low cost of BUIS like magpuls it a good idea to have them rather than need then on a defensive rifle.

Acog's are great out side in open ground. They are weak under 50 yards and poor indoors. They are almost indestructible. Planned usage would determine which would be better a red dot or an Acog. There are optics that have come out with a variable power starting around 1 to address this problem. I think nightforce has a 1-8 power which is very popular in three gun. Leopold has several hunting scopes in the 1-5 range. I think Trigicon has some dangerous game hunting scopes with low power too. For now though red dot seem to be the way to go for CQB.

I have no problem hitting USPSA target at 200 yards with a red dot. It is easier with the 2 moa dot than the 4 moa dot though. I prefer to have a sniper rifle handy for those hidden, camouflaged long range hard to see targets.

I might be very difficult to convince a jury it was self defense when the bad guy was 600 feet away IMHO.
 #68627  by Frank

I suggest trying a red dot sight before buying one, I personnaly do not like them.