Paddle holsters, belt holsters, shoulder holsters, magazine pouches, belts, concealed clothing -- discuss here.
 #70639  by iamdude

So earlier this week I purchased a leather pancake holster directly from Beretta, for my 92A1, It came in, I put it on, and I put my gun in it. The leather is very stiff, and very snug on the gun. I tried to draw the gun from it, but it would not budge. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to break it in a little?

After finding out this problem I started to do some research and realized this may have been to wrong holster to use for OC anyway as it is only a Level 1 retention with a thumb snap. Yesterday I bought a Blackhawk Duty Serpa Level 3 holster waiting for it to come in so I can see how it feels. Does anyone use a Level 3? If so, how hard is it to get used to?
 #70646  by Lascivious1

I really wanted a lvl3 for my PPQ. i dont think it would be all that hard t get comfortable with from all the looks of it.
when i was searchign it out myself "which i cant find one to fit my PPQ" i watched a video on utube with a markmen showing all 3 lvls and drawing fast. fast enought o waear it seam he didnt even have any lvl of locks.
My take is just naturally grab at it with a good grip and it should come free.

Some advice if i may... make sure to always keep your index finger straight as you draw for safety and not to shoot yourself in the thigh.
 #70857  by iamdude

Well, I either have the worst luck ever, or my 92A1 is a bastard to find a holster for. My Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 came in today, and low and behold, my gun doesn't fit. I start to slide it in, and about 3/4" before it reaches the level 2 retention clip, it freezes, and won't go in any farther. I took it out and tried it again. When it reaches the point of stopping, if more pressure is added, it starts to rack the slide. So I emailed customer service at Blackhawk, and again I wait. One thing I did find out, is the holster I purchased comes equipped with an attachment for a "Duty Belt" which I do not own, as I'm not a LEO. My question to you guys is what do you recommend, a standard belt attachment, or a paddle attachment?
 #70858  by Lascivious1

iamdude wrote:Well, I either have the worst luck ever, or my 92A1 is a bastard to find a holster for. My Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 came in today, and low and behold, my gun doesn't fit. I start to slide it in, and about 3/4" before it reaches the level 2 retention clip, it freezes, and won't go in any farther. I took it out and tried it again. When it reaches the point of stopping, if more pressure is added, it starts to rack the slide. So I emailed customer service at Blackhawk, and again I wait. One thing I did find out, is the holster I purchased comes equipped with an attachment for a "Duty Belt" which I do not own, as I'm not a LEO. My question to you guys is what do you recommend, a standard belt attachment, or a paddle attachment?
I really like my paddle. teh belt connection looks to cheap and small for me. the paddle seams more secure. also when i bought mine i had a freind yank on it a few tiems to see how well it would hold up.
in some pulls he just dragged me along but if yo yank it the right way it will snap im sure. from that test i did i have no trust in the belt holder.
I find that with jeans on and a belt the paddle is comfortable and very secure on me.
 #71362  by CorBon

iamdude wrote:So earlier this week I purchased a leather pancake holster directly from Beretta, for my 92A1, It came in, I put it on, and I put my gun in it. The leather is very stiff, and very snug on the gun. I tried to draw the gun from it, but it would not budge. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to break it in a little?
Galco makes a product called "Draw-EZ," which is available at their website, Midway's, and others. I would not recommend getting it on Amazon, though, as the only seller that I see has jacked the price up to twice what everyone else is selling it for.
 #71402  by whatevah

I usually use the paddle for mine. It's a pain to remove, but as a result, VERY secure. Being a paddle, you have more options for placement since belt loops don't matter. I shot at an IDPA match today and used the belt loop instead... no issues. Mine is the standard level 2 for a Beretta PX4. I was a little worried using a retention holster that I could have issues drawing rapidly and from concealment, but never had a problem. The common mistake is that people will start pulling up before they apply finger pressure to the release lever, if you do that it'll make releasing the catch very difficult.

Actually, in spite of using a DA/SA gun with the safety on (mistake by the SO... found out at the last string), from a retention holster with the extra recoil of a .40 I did very well, better than a couple guys using the standard striker weapons and friction-only holsters. I ruled one string where we had to knock down a steel target around 20 yards out. The 9mm guys using 115gr ammo had to take multiple shots and my .40 knocked it down on the first shot. :) I think I scored second on that string, waiting on the official results. My overall score will be low, was wild on the first string since I had no clue what I was doing. It helps if you aim!

As for leather break-in, not sure... I'll be watching this thread though, since I'm considering carrying a S&W Airweight with a leather OWB holster. Desantis most likely. I've looked on the various forums and some people say to use a glycerin based soap and water and lightly wash the holster (damp, not soaked) and then put in the gun. Others say to use various leather creams or the Galco stuff. And others are emphatic about not using anything, just wear it around the house, watching tv, etc and give it time. If you elect to just be patient, let the holster sit out in the sun for an hour or two, then put it on and slide in the gun, the heat will loosen it up a bit. And, I got the following from a search...
If you want to speed up the process, or want a really slick fit, then Triple K Manufacturing also suggests this method. Wrap your unloaded gun in a soft plastic bag that will form fit to your gun, like a clean bread or trash bag. (The bag is simply to keep your gun and grips clean.) Then cover the bag (the part that fits in the holster) with your favorite gun lubricant (anything from saddle soap to baseball glove softener to Neat's Foot Oil, etc.). You can also lubricate the inside of the holster. Then shove the gun in the holster and leave it for 2 or 3 days. When the time is up, remove your gun and wipe any excess lubricant out of the inside of your holster with a clean towel or rag. The holster should have absorbed the lubricant and relaxed to fit your gun. This is what would have happened naturally over time.
 #71433  by iamdude

whatevah wrote:I usually use the paddle for mine. It's a pain to remove, but as a result, VERY secure. Being a paddle, you have more options for placement since belt loops don't matter. I shot at an IDPA match today and used the belt loop instead... no issues. Mine is the standard level 2 for a Beretta PX4. I was a little worried using a retention holster that I could have issues drawing rapidly and from concealment, but never had a problem. The common mistake is that people will start pulling up before they apply finger pressure to the release lever, if you do that it'll make releasing the catch very difficult.

Actually, in spite of using a DA/SA gun with the safety on (mistake by the SO... found out at the last string), from a retention holster with the extra recoil of a .40 I did very well, better than a couple guys using the standard striker weapons and friction-only holsters. I ruled one string where we had to knock down a steel target around 20 yards out. The 9mm guys using 115gr ammo had to take multiple shots and my .40 knocked it down on the first shot. :) I think I scored second on that string, waiting on the official results. My overall score will be low, was wild on the first string since I had no clue what I was doing. It helps if you aim!

As for leather break-in, not sure... I'll be watching this thread though, since I'm considering carrying a S&W Airweight with a leather OWB holster. Desantis most likely. I've looked on the various forums and some people say to use a glycerin based soap and water and lightly wash the holster (damp, not soaked) and then put in the gun. Others say to use various leather creams or the Galco stuff. And others are emphatic about not using anything, just wear it around the house, watching tv, etc and give it time. If you elect to just be patient, let the holster sit out in the sun for an hour or two, then put it on and slide in the gun, the heat will loosen it up a bit. And, I got the following from a search...
If you want to speed up the process, or want a really slick fit, then Triple K Manufacturing also suggests this method. Wrap your unloaded gun in a soft plastic bag that will form fit to your gun, like a clean bread or trash bag. (The bag is simply to keep your gun and grips clean.) Then cover the bag (the part that fits in the holster) with your favorite gun lubricant (anything from saddle soap to baseball glove softener to Neat's Foot Oil, etc.). You can also lubricate the inside of the holster. Then shove the gun in the holster and leave it for 2 or 3 days. When the time is up, remove your gun and wipe any excess lubricant out of the inside of your holster with a clean towel or rag. The holster should have absorbed the lubricant and relaxed to fit your gun. This is what would have happened naturally over time.
Thanks for the advice. Where are there IDPA matches around here? I saw a different thread about IDPA and thought it was pretty cool, so I started watching some YouTube videos on IDPA. It looks like something I might be interested in trying. Can you go out and watch a match, or do you have to participate?
 #71461  by knohope

From what I have found, there are not a lot of options for IDPA in Delaware. Bridgeville does have matches, but for those of us in Northern DE, there are matches in PA, MD and NJ ( :o I know) as well. Many of these same ranges offer USPSA matches too. If you're not oppsed to a 45 minute ride or so, you can get to a match nearly every/any weekend of the month. The action shooting sports are really taking off. Many of the matches are reaching capacity and require pre-registration.
 #71490  by whatevah

I went to the New Holland club http://www.nepaidpascores.net/nhrpa/nhr ... aster.html ... supposed to meet somebody there but I guess the rain scared him off. So, I was basically by myself.

The Bridgeville club hosts IDPA, the only one in the state as far as I know. The Delmarva Sportsman Association hosts USPSA matches which can be fairly similar to IDPA. It's a little closer than Bridgeville. http://www.dsarange.com/uspsa.html And for more USPSA, SCCSFA hosts that as well. http://www.sccsfa.org/page11/page11.html

Elsewhere in PA, the Lower Providence club hosts IPDA, along with the Double Action store/range in Yeadon. http://www.nepaidpascores.net/LP/club_master.html http://www.nepaidpascores.net/da/da_club_master.html

There's an IDPA event in south jersey http://www.nepaidpascores.net/sjidpa/sj ... aster.html this weekend that I was thinking about going to, but my friend in the area is working and I'll probably just go to Elk Neck and play RSO for the day.

As for going to the first event, just bring your gear! Sunday was my first time at an event. All you need is your gun, ammo, holster, 2 extra mags, mag holster and a "concealment garment". An unbuttoned shirt is what I used, some people use a vest. USPSA doesn't require concealment though.
 #71698  by SCUBA9097

An "old school" trick to breaking in a leather holster is to place the unloaded firearm in a plastic sandwich bag (Ziploc). Reholster the firearm and let it sit overnight. This process stretches the leather just enough to allow a smooth draw while not stretching the leather enough to ruin it.