Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #600  by LordJim

I didn't see this in the News Journal, but thought that I'd pass it along anyway.

Yesterday, at approximately 5PM Eastern, a resident in the ~30 block of W. 39th street fired one shot at what she believed to be someone trying to break into her home.

I was in the kitchen making up the dog's dinner when I heard what appeared to be a gunshot outside. Looking out the window I saw a group of two children running and saying "that sounded like a drive by" and moments later about 6 police cruisers showed up. After things had appeared to die down I asked one of the police:

Me: "Did I hear shots fired?"

Police: "You heard -a- shot."

Me: "Really? What happened?"

Police: "That woman thought someone was breaking into her home and took a shot at him"

Me: "Oh, cool. I like that." (the police officer smiled)

The police did not appear to have anyone in custody at the time. The evidence unit showed up a few minutes later to collect prints and such, I assume.

That's the most excitement we've had around here in a while and it's making me consider fast tracking the purchase of a new pistol dedicated to open carry (at least) around the neighborhood.

-
Jim
 #605  by Wynder

Wow...

I was listening to the radio this morning and they reported that the Bloods and Crips have moved into Delaware.

That's a bit concerning.
 #609  by bms429

This is crazy.

Bloods and crips ehhh? glad I got my permit. Well, in a week or 2 I will have it. I work right below the brandywine on the border of that not so nice area of town.
 #619  by stephpd

Use to live in Pebble Hill Apts. not far from there. One of the reasons for leaving the city was the gunfire getting closer. Had shots fired just outside the apartment one night, neighbor asked if I saw anything. Told her I didn't have a bulletproof helmet and wasn't looking to get shot. Saw someone else walking around with a BIG handgun one night in his hand. Time for me to get out of Dodge. Never looked back.
 #657  by LordJim

Just found out that it was some kids breaking into a neighbor's shed/garage looking for a 4-wheeler. The shot fired was apparently from a shotgun (Go neighbor lady!). Police apparently also took into custody one juvenile who apparently also turned in his friends/accomplices.

Regardless, I'm all for this. Considering that break-ins are becoming no big deal around here, I'm glad that someone felt free to fight back, to send the message that this isn't OK.

-
Jim
 #712  by dave_in_delaware

This all makes me glad that:

1. I'm carrying protection
2. I'm moving out of the city soon!

I've witnessed a shooting right outside my window (and was subpoena'd to appear in court as a witness). And I've heard shots, too. And I read and/or watch the news around here.

It's only going to get worse as the weather gets nicer (and days get longer), because everyone who lives in the city knows that everyone (OK, "Canadians") likes to "hang" out on the streets and sidewalks and eventually get rowdy and into trouble. I heard what sounded like a rally a block away last night until 8:30pm (complete w/ loudspeaker). I could only imagine what they were talking about (I'm sure color had nothing to do w/ it. Yeah, as if).

God, get me out of this neighborhood soon!!! I can't stand it anymore!
 #724  by stephpd

I was showing the people at work the websites on crime. The News Jounal didn't break it down quite as well as the County Police site but it was still alarming. One girl was saying that her neighborhood wasn't that bad. I showed her that there had been 300 -1000 violent crimes committed in her area in the last year, compared 2 in my neighborhood. That's a BIG difference. Now that they've torn down the Brookview projects crime will go down for all of Claymont. Brookview isn't really my neighborhood, about 5 blocks away, but we did have some spillover and I use to walk my dogs through there.

When I first moved into the city I use to here gunshots over by 30th & Market. 5 years later they were closer at 35th & Washington. 5 years after that I'd here them even closer to Pebble Hill Apts. The year I left,and this was 8 years ago there was a gun fight just outside my apartment. That and having my car broken into 8 times in the last 2 years were contributing factors in my leaving.

I still work in the city and here gunfire way to frequently. Glad they move the probation office out of the city. Most of the people walking during the day around where I work were criminals. To keep the building a little cooler they keep the doors open and some would come in asking for money or cigarettes. Scary when your working to turn around and find some scum right behind you. :sparring:
 #726  by dave_in_delaware

Well, I live IN 19802, and after hearing about the shooting a few blocks from my house earlier this year, well, I try to carry DAILY now.

This city (actually, Country) is going downhill fast, and the politicians want to help it go downhill faster by making sure criminals are the only ones w/ guns.
 #731  by stephpd

Politicians whole job is to make up more and more laws. Have a problem and they will make a new law, usually wrong, to deal with the problem.

Claymont really isn't that bad, compared to most of the City of Wilmington. Guys at work were telling me about some crime a couple of weeks ago over by Burger King. 1/4 mile away from my house. I may walk my dogs all over Claymont but that is outside of what I consider my neighborhood. Siberian Husky needs to be walked frequently and long distances or he gets a need to explore on his own. Luckily he's getting older. Hasn't escaped from the yard in a couple of years.

Gov. Printz Blvd, Philadelphia Pike and I-495 are what I consider the boarders of my neighborhood. Two violent crimes and two sex offenders is all I can find. I've actually seen one of the sex offenders, He live just across the street from the school.
 #733  by dave_in_delaware

stephpd wrote:... one of the sex offenders... lives just across the street from the school.
OK, is it me or is this just frickin' WRONG on many levels?