Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #107318  by pick_six

Saw this, and considered the context of another thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/politics/ ... afficking/

Have always wondered how all the contraband gets in, well, in Georgia they've done some stuff. Of interest, some of the 46 were on the anticontraband force.

This isn't one bad guard, running around, it's 46, so far.

I'm wondering if they'll get club Fed or the Georgia equivalent of Smyrna, or SCI.

OR maybe, due to overpopulation, a slap on the wrist.

As I understand things, prison guards are one of the special ones. They qualify for LEOSA when active or retired. 46!!!! Arrested in one day!!! Should be enough to reconsider LEOSA entirety.
 #107319  by Hawkeye

pick_six wrote: As I understand things, prison guards are one of the special ones. They qualify for LEOSA when active or retired. 46!!!! Arrested in one day!!! Should be enough to reconsider LEOSA entirety.
I call BS on this sentiment. There are over 400,000 of US nation wide and the vast majority are honest, hard working individuals who do a job most people cannot handle. There are bad apples in every profession. I applaud the FBI for weeding out the dirty officers because these guys make my job more difficult and put me in danger. As a correctional officer I am locked in with 1100 felons, many violent, on a day to day basis with not much more than pepper spray and a radio for back-up. Virtually every officer I know has had at least one offender make the statement "Wait until I see you on the street." Most of the time that anger blows over but you never really know. I know officers who have had contracts put on them because they are effective in their duties. I do not have police authority off duty but I do have LEOSA which allows me to carry off duty. For what it is worth, I open carry more than I conceal carry. I see ex-offenders on the street on a regular basis but so far I have not had a bad encounter. I like to think that is because of the way I carry myself on duty. The odds of having a bad encounter with an ex-offender are not in my favor. I have been a correctional officer for 34 years. 16 of the 21 years I served in the Army was as a correctional officer and the other 18 years are with the state. I have earned the right to be a Law Enforcement Officer and I will not allow a few criminals masquerading as C/O's to diminish what I have accomplished.
 #107320  by Jonathan

Hawkeye wrote: I call BS on this sentiment. There are over 400,000 of US nation wide and the vast majority are honest, hard working individuals who do a job most people cannot handle.
I am with you on the B.S. and on the fact that the job is one most people can not handle. I worked as a Correctional Officer, at DCC, for almost seven years before I finally got tired of banging my head against the wall and resigned. I quit, sold everything I owned, then went and hiked the Appalachian Trail to get my head together. I have many people, whom I still consider friends. that continue to work behind those wires and walls. I worked with some of the most ethical and intelligent people I have known while inside that institution. The bad apples were the exception, not the rule.
 #107324  by pick_six

yeah, mainly that was meant to be tongue in cheek, but also not at the same time. if you follow the way the a2a hate speech goes, if we can save / prevent just one crime.

idk how many correction officers there are in georgia, but 46, in one day. hmmm, i think that slightly exceeds the bad apple thing and becomes an orchard. (yea it was a 2 year investigation).

i believe all carve outs, leosa and all others at the state and local levels, should be ended. they are attempts buy favor in political support by politicians on both sides of the 2a issues, though most notably the antis who love to say... look the leo community, agrees with us.

this actually was part of the discussion on the MD-ar-hicap case. the 4th district and lower courts do not feel it to be a violation of the 14th amendment. that said, one justice on the 4th ruling considered it a possible violation, but was in the minority, and therefore it was not a problem. people being people, would indicate otherwise, and attributing special abilities to any leo... well a little google proves that leo's, retired or active, are people and prone to criminal tendencies, just like the general public.

i think ALL LAW ABIDING citizens should have the national carry, without fee or charge, no infringents, open or concealed. OUR rights do not, and should not, end at state lines. NJ/MD/NY/CA, ETC. anyone receiving special consideration has no reason to support the right for all. they may, but they also may not. again, people are people.

that said, i am curious, and hopefully this becomes a major point of discussion in this article is that drugs and cell phones, and various other contraband are available in prison.

how does contraband get in? the answer is seems obvious. someone smuggles it in. who? in the context of a2a discussions, keeping guns out of the hands of criminal, the fact that incarcerated individual can get pot and cell phones represents quite the pickle. no?

the interesting part of the article notes that SOME of the 46 were the watchers watchers. members of the anti-contraband crew, iirc, COBRA was the name of the group.

where you sit, and with what you see, what are you seeing in your delaware facility?

in googling, i found 1 article related specifically to delaware. iirs it was '14-15 timeframe.

are there things that don't make the NewsUrinal? that common folks aren't aware of?

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /25953879/

also of interest in the article, the prison guards were wearing their uniforms/badges and giving cover to drug deals outside of the prison. a protection scheme.

yeah, i apologize for asking questions that you, as an active employee, may not be able to answer, but cases like that make a person, an outsider, wonder.

in the context of the other thread that has people saying that prison was bad... i've always felt i was too pretty for prison (sarcasm). i also wouldn't disagree with the statement. but there are at least 46 people in georgia that didn't think it was bad enough to want to avoid being on the wrong side of the bars.
Hawkeye wrote:
pick_six wrote: As I understand things, prison guards are one of the special ones. They qualify for LEOSA when active or retired. 46!!!! Arrested in one day!!! Should be enough to reconsider LEOSA entirety.
I call BS on this sentiment. There are over 400,000 of US nation wide and the vast majority are honest, hard working individuals who do a job most people cannot handle. There are bad apples in every profession. I applaud the FBI for weeding out the dirty officers because these guys make my job more difficult and put me in danger. As a correctional officer I am locked in with 1100 felons, many violent, on a day to day basis with not much more than pepper spray and a radio for back-up. Virtually every officer I know has had at least one offender make the statement "Wait until I see you on the street." Most of the time that anger blows over but you never really know. I know officers who have had contracts put on them because they are effective in their duties. I do not have police authority off duty but I do have LEOSA which allows me to carry off duty. For what it is worth, I open carry more than I conceal carry. I see ex-offenders on the street on a regular basis but so far I have not had a bad encounter. I like to think that is because of the way I carry myself on duty. The odds of having a bad encounter with an ex-offender are not in my favor. I have been a correctional officer for 34 years. 16 of the 21 years I served in the Army was as a correctional officer and the other 18 years are with the state. I have earned the right to be a Law Enforcement Officer and I will not allow a few criminals masquerading as C/O's to diminish what I have accomplished.
 #107325  by pick_six

Jonathan, as it sounds like you are no longer in the corrections business, what were your observations on prison drugs/cellphones/contraband things?

sounds like you also would have seen a good bit in your time.
Jonathan wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: I call BS on this sentiment. There are over 400,000 of US nation wide and the vast majority are honest, hard working individuals who do a job most people cannot handle.
I am with you on the B.S. and on the fact that the job is one most people can not handle. I worked as a Correctional Officer, at DCC, for almost seven years before I finally got tired of banging my head against the wall and resigned. I quit, sold everything I owned, then went and hiked the Appalachian Trail to get my head together. I have many people, whom I still consider friends. that continue to work behind those wires and walls. I worked with some of the most ethical and intelligent people I have known while inside that institution. The bad apples were the exception, not the rule.
 #107328  by Hawkeye

pick_six, here is another one

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /10066073/

I am all for airing out our dirty laundry. Sometimes we have to focus on the good while dealing with the bad. Working this job takes its toll on a person.

One of my favorite quotes is
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche
This easily translates to working corrections.

You see all kinds of deviant conduct, but you also see people overcoming their past and making things work. Here is another article about something going right (includes a picture of me walking away from the camera)

http://coastalpoint.com/content/setting ... right_path
 #107329  by pick_six

excluding the leosa thing, as noted above, i absolutely could not agree with you more.

the thing a few years ago in the baltimore city jail scandal, the inmates ran the place. iirc, they have every sort of contraband imaginable. one account even mentioned a gun. the inmates ran the place.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... on-scandal

i agree some situations are 1 bad guy. some, like this georgia thing, and the baltimore thing, are institutional corruption? perversion?

it's all life. it's all choices. mostly. with some random thrown in.

i do wonder, if like dsp (used to do anyway, not sure now), they handle things in-house that don't make the papers or public forum.

agree with your monster quote as well!

the moral thing starts here... if you see. DO YOU SAY? obviously, if you do, i am thinking you MAY have signed your own ping slip. especially if multiple persons are involved.

and if you don't say, you've become the monster. then the mental act of balance. well, i know it happens, but i am not doing it. i am just keeping my mouth shut, and keeping my job.

a damned complex issue, like life itself, right?
Hawkeye wrote:pick_six, here is another one

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /10066073/

I am all for airing out our dirty laundry. Sometimes we have to focus on the good while dealing with the bad. Working this job takes its toll on a person.

One of my favorite quotes is
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche
This easily translates to working corrections.

You see all kinds of deviant conduct, but you also see people overcoming their past and making things work. Here is another article about something going right (includes a picture of me walking away from the camera)

http://coastalpoint.com/content/setting ... right_path
 #107330  by Hawkeye

pick_six wrote:a damned complex issue, like life itself, right?
Right you are.
 #107347  by Owen

Sad story of our times. A job does not make you honorable or law abiding that requires character. There are good and bad in all professions.

LEOSA is bad. You can't make carve outs for agents of the state in a free society. That's not liberty. We should all have the same available as constitutional carry.
 #107348  by Jonathan

pick_six wrote:Jonathan, as it sounds like you are no longer in the corrections business, what were your observations on prison drugs/cellphones/contraband things?
There were drugs, cell phones, and other contraband to be found when I was there. Though, I left in 2003, so cell phones weren't quite as ubiquitous as they are today. I found drugs regularly, during shakedowns. There are all types of ways contraband can get in a prison. Visitors get contraband past security. Contraband gets past the mail room staff. Non security support staff in education, treatment, special programs, etc bring contraband in. The inmate workers that left W-Bldg and worked at the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery, in NCC, smuggled contraband in. And, yes, there were officers that brought contraband in, slept with inmates, etc. I never personally caught any officers, or support staff, bringing in contraband. With the exception of the first six months, and overtime shifts, I worked 4-12 shift for the entire time I was at DCC. Accordingly, I had less interaction with the support staff that operated more during the 8-4 shift, when inmate movement was at its most active There are bad apples in every profession. The vast majority of the men and women I worked with were good people, trying their best to do a job that most people couldn't bear to do, and getting very little respect from the public, institution management, or any one else, for that matter.

As for LEOSA, I am a bit conflicted about that issue. I believe we all have a right to constitutional carry and that no law abiding citizen, of good character, ought be deprived of the right to carry firearms, in any manner they see fit, for defensive purposes. That being said, this isn't the present reality for most of our nation. Law enforcement professionals, and correctional officers, even more so than police officers, are in a unique position. Police arrest individuals and those people often end up in an correctional institution. However, the police contact with an offender is for a relatively short period of time. Correctional officers are in contact with inmates, day in and day out, week after week, month after month, year after year. Those inmates regularly end up back in the same communities that the correctional officers live, work, and socialize, in.

This presents unique security concerns for those individuals. The average citizen generally doesn't have dozens, or even hundreds, of violent, felonious, individuals, that are holding deep grudges against them, wandering around their communities. Judges, police officers, and correctional officers, on the other hand, do face that reality every day of their lives, everywhere they go. So, I can see where LEOSA rights should be advocated for, while at the same time, I'd like to see far more law enforcement personnel advocating for law abiding citizens right to arm themselves defensively.