Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #110881  by CorBon

https://nypost.com/2018/02/18/proud-gun ... -shooting/

A proud Broward County gun owner is deciding to “be the change [he] wants to see in the world” — by giving up his AR-57.

Ben Dickmann, 40, posted photos of himself surrendering his assault weapon to Broward Sheriff’s officers on Facebook Friday, in the wake of the tragic Parkland, Fla. attack at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 people were shot dead by gunman using an AR-15 rifle.

“I do not need this rifle,” Dickmann wrote. “No one without a law enforcement badge needs this rifle.”

The AR-57 is a semi-automatic rifle and a caliber variant of the AR-15.

“I could have easily sold this, but no person needs this,” Dickmann wrote.

“I will be the change I want to see in this world. If our lawmakers will continue to close their eyes and open their wallets, I will lead by example.”

The Milwaukee native said he was a highly-trained gun owner who’d been hunting since he was a child, but that he would just use other types of guns from now on.

Dickmann’s post has been shared over 100,000 times and he told NPR he never expected it to touch so many people.

“My whole goal was to inspire one friend on my Facebook to do the same thing. And maybe that friend would inspire one other person,” he said.
 #110882  by NCC

Freedom of Choice is a wonderful thing. He has his, you have yours, and I have mine.
 #110883  by dave_in_delaware

CorBon wrote:“I do not need this rifle,” Dickmann wrote. “No one without a law enforcement badge needs this rifle.”

“I could have easily sold this, but no person needs this,” Dickmann wrote.
So no one outside of law enforcement should need that rifle, yet he owned one. No person needs that rifle, yet he did.

Interesting.

At least he didn't give up ALL of his weapons.
 #110892  by Owen

pick_six wrote:the shop that sold THE rifle has announced they are ceasing operations. sounded like permanently.
I assume you mean shop that sold the shooters rifle. It is sad that someone is giving up their lively hood over this evil persons actions. Maybe they will regroup under a different name.
 #110899  by Boots

He gave up the ONLY semi-automatic rifle he had and will only use something else for hunting?

I wonder if he also gave up all his 'evil' semi-automatic handguns as well.

And, he thinks the world is a safer place now that he has given up his gun? I wonder what kind of evil thoughts have been coursing across his mind!

“My whole goal was to inspire one friend on my Facebook to do the same thing. And maybe that friend would inspire one other person,” he said. Makes me wonder about what kind of 'friends' this guy has! If they were all good people, then they would make ZERO difference in this world regarding school shootings. Obviously this guy is a Democrat ... good people are disarmed and school shootings in "gun-free zones" continue because bad guys never willingly give up their guns!
:roll: