Local, national and world news stories of interest.
 #112138  by CorBon

https://www.foxnews.com/us/walmart-to-s ... nationwide

Walmart to stop Alaska handgun sales, end sales of short-barrel rifle and handgun ammo nationwide

Walmart is set to end sales of handguns in Alaska and will discontinue the sale of short-barrel rifle and handgun ammunition in stores nationwide, the super chain's president and CEO announced Tuesday afternoon.

The store said it will gear its focus toward long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, supply much of the ammunition they require and provide hunting and sporting accessories and apparel, Doug McMillon wrote in a memo.

"We have a long heritage as a company of serving responsible hunters and sportsmen and women, and we're going to continue doing so," McMillon said.

Walmart also asked that customers no longer openly carry firearms into their stores or Sam’s Clubs in states where open carry is permitted unless authorized by law enforcement. The chain also called for enhanced background checks.

“We encourage our nation’s leaders to move forward and strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger,” the statement said.

The announcement comes just days after a mass shooting claimed seven lives in Odessa, Texas and follows two other back-to-back shootings last month, one of them at a Walmart store.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
 #112140  by NCC

Yup. All we can do is vote with our wallets.
 #112142  by radnor

Walmart’s customer service phone number is 1-800-925-6278. Let them know what we think of their decision to stop selling handgun and certain rifle ammo. Support your local gun shops and other small local stores.
 #112154  by MrCoolDale

I cut walmart out of my life over a decade ago and have been all the better for it. Their business practices destroy local economies, raise crime rates, and drain your tax dollars. Walmart is a bane on society and should be avoided at all costs.

Spend the extra $2 on ammo and support your local gun stores. The only time I purchase ammo anywhere other than my local gun stores is when nobody has what I need and can't get it in time (45-70 can be a pain to get.)

Support your local economy, not a faceless billionaire CEO.