Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #102461  by astro_wanabe

On rare occasion it actually might. Most of tonight's results had a decent gap between the candidates. Then there was this race:

Recorder of Deeds (not sure which county?)
Democrat Betty Lou Mckenna - 19245 votes - 50.0%
Republican Lamar Gunn - 19247 votes - 50.0%
http://elections.delaware.gov/results/h ... tion.shtml

Man, just 2 votes decided that race! Just one flip and it would have been a tie! Also, we had 36% voter turn out across the state. If just 2 or 3 more people had voted in that county they could have swung it too.
 #102474  by NCC

Dugan wrote:supposedly only a 1/3 of the country that can vote voted haha.
TruDat!

Because turnout drops for midterm elections compared to presidential elections, it makes more sense to compare Tuesday's voter turnout to the last midterm elections in 2010. Turnout was less for eligible voters this time around: 36.6 percent voted, compared with 40.9 percent in 2010, according to data from the United States Elections Project.

The differences were especially stark in some states that saw nosedives of crazy proportions. Turnout numbers in Washington, Delaware, Missouri, South Dakota, California and Indiana all dropped by more than 10 percentage points between 2010 and 2014. And although some states made gains in voter turnout (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Maine, to name several), most states dropped. Only 12 states turned out a higher percentage of eligible voters this year than in the last midterms.

See link for more...
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-m ... -12-states
 #102484  by pick_six

this election, where i am, had at least one race where the difference between 2 candidates for the legislature was under 100 votes. the R, who won and wasn't the incumbent, is a big 2a proponent.

every vote matters in some way. even if your choices are limited, showing your feeling never hurts.

and, to mark a huge turn here, our republican governor now has a republican legislature, both chambers!

also, our us congressional delegation has gone from 2/2 to 3/1 republican. neither senator was up for election this year, but one will lose his current job title and revert back to SENATE MINORITY LEADER! ;)

I am not so sure that i like many pol's, but i think some are lesser evils. time will tell. lets see what gets used and squandered this time around. and if any stages get set for 2016.
 #102490  by NCC

Dugan wrote:at first i thought most reps won in delaware, by looking at the results it seems new castle and wilmington swung that back to blue...
Yeah, drives me nuts. I live in a Republican state led by a Democratic county, which happens to have over half the state population.

On another note, when I bought a house in Gloucester City, NJ in 1980, I was one of THREE registered Republicans. And it did not change through 1987 when I sold the place. Every election, third name in the book.