Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #50889  by BigJoe

A few more provision passed the judiciary committee today. "Roving wiretaps" and "business record" till 2017, and "lone wolf" permenent.
 #50892  by Tony T

That explains why I woke up feeling safer today. :poed:
 #50893  by Tony T

One republican voted against the bill, two Dems voted for it. I have to agree with Gator's past sentiment, the repubs might be for the 2A but they have no reservations about strengthening the police state and eroding civil rights. In American politics you just pick which poison is more palatable, but it still slowly poisons the country.

http://www.mainjustice.com/2011/05/12/h ... extension/
Last edited by Tony T on Sat May 14, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #50897  by Boots

Reminds me of the question... How can you tell when a politician is lying?
 #50898  by zencat

GatorDude wrote:I think that assessment is quite on point, Tony.
Uh oh! I agree with BOTH Tony & Gator...
The end times must be near...one week to Judgment Day!

zencat :roll:
 #50904  by Dr. Eastwood

"There is no record of their having been misused by any law enforcement official or national security agency."

:|

Just because there's no record does not mean it hasn't happened. If that were the case, then I guess we could appeal the search and seizure amendment. The government could just exercise good judgment!
 #50915  by GatorDude

There is plenty of record of misuse or even improper use.

The ACLU has multiple cases both about the constitutionality of the law as well as its application.

The problem with law is that courts do not get involved if no one complains. If the government never brings charges, most people don't know they have been monitored legally or illegally. Accordingly, they don't complain.

If someone who is doing something bad gets caught, many times the masses don't want the "bad guy" to go free...so the courts fabricate exceptions to the rules. Bad facts create bad law. One of the things you learn very early in law school.
 #50917  by zencat

GatorDude wrote:There is plenty of record of misuse or even improper use.

SNIPPED *******************************
If someone who is doing something bad gets caught, many times the masses don't want the "bad guy" to go free...so the courts fabricate exceptions to the rules. Bad facts create bad law. One of the things you learn very early in law school.
Am reading "Letters to A Young Lawyer" by Alan Dershowitz...

He makes that very point quite well...with history from from Clarence Darrow through recent SCOTUS Justices...

Also working thru his: "Shouting Fire: Civil Liberties in a Turbulent Age".
Don't share his political views but am beginning to admire his chosen controversial career path!
zencat :ugeek: