Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #84297  by brich2929

So, Mark Kelly was the first to speak at the 12:30 Legislative Hall hearing. He was there to voice support for HB35. Not being a resident of the state, he was given much more than the 2 minutes (more like 5 or 7) everyone else got. I believe he was there as guest of Lt. Gov Denn, as they both left together immediately after Denn was finished speaking. Even the 3rd speaker, a Senator (probably Democrat) in favor of the bill, was only given 2 minutes or so to speak by Chairwoman Henry.

I like Mark Kelly - I'm a big fan of his service with NASA and the Shuttle Program, but what gives him the right to have a louder voice in regards to DE politics and laws than an actual resident of DE?

I called Chairwoman Henry's office and left a message asking that question and asked for a return call. Guess what? No call as of yet.
 #84299  by stephpd

Particularly on a bill that would have done nothing to prevent what happened to his wife.By his own admission the guy that got the gun to shoot his wife did so legally.

Since the discussion today was HR35 (banning private sales) his being there was a distraction, though it did get the media there. Of course when he left so did the media.

Rally behind the legislative building went well and turnout forced them to move the hearing to the senate floor room. Again, those not paid to be there outnumbered the supporters of the bill at least 10-1.

I did get a chance to speak, though I believe my time was cut short since I talked about the senators oath of office and their duty to protect the Constitution that they swore before God and man.

At the 30 seconds left mark I figured it best to end with this quote from a letter from Thomas Jefferson;

"Our legislators are not sufficiently apprised of the rightful limits of their powers; that their true office is to declare and enforce only our natural rights and duties, and to take none of them from us."

http://www.britannica.com/presidents/article-9116905
 #84301  by brich2929

stephpd:

Thanks for speakig. I rolled out after I realized that SB23 was tabled till next week (the only bill I signed up to speak on) and that HB35 was all pre-crafted by the Legislature and will likely pass. There was no way I'd get to speak on it, so I decided to roll out. I swung over to the Other Hall which was supposed to have started at 1pm and the guy, I think Seargant-at-Arms, was saying it would begin at 2pm and I had to leave to get to work.

I was hoping to run into Kelly in the downstairs area or outside but he was probably in the bowels of the Hall or already gone with Denn. I WILL do everything possible to be back next week for SB23 and then the Magazine Ban and AWB.

Keep fighting!!
 #84303  by stephpd

I really hate having to take vacation days to attend these but I feel it's important. And if I'm going to attend I've decided I better speak up, though I haven't given a speech since high school.(and hated it)

And those 2 minutes go by so fast when you're speaking. :oops:
 #84333  by Amy Blackthorn

brich2929 wrote:stephpd:

I was hoping to run into Kelly in the downstairs area or outside but he was probably in the bowels of the Hall or already gone with Denn.
Oh come now, everyone knows they had to go somewhere private for Dennis to fork over Kelly's "appearance fee".
 #84338  by brich2929

Amy Blackthorn wrote:

Oh come now, everyone knows they had to go somewhere private for Dennis to fork over Kelly's "appearance fee".

:applause:
 #84342  by SugarBoy13

Amy Blackthorn wrote:

I was hoping to run into Kelly in the downstairs area or outside but he was probably in the bowels of the Hall or already gone with Denn.
 #84389  by joet

unless my eyes have deceived me ...HB 35 has passed senate 13 to 8..

sad day for all.. did I read it right??
 #84390  by Boots

joet wrote:unless my eyes have deceived me ...HB 35 has passed senate 13 to 8..

sad day for all.. did I read it right??
I think it was pre-ordained the bill would pass and they were just going through the motions. It was obvious there was much opposition to the bill, and just as obvious they didn't care.

The new law(s) can be challenged in court, AND, the people can be voted out of office!
Last edited by Boots on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.