Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #84731  by Dr. Eastwood

In practice the death penalty is too costly to be effective. Death row inmates sit for years on death row, and too many times those convicted have had their sentences overturned because of a more thorough secondary investigation.
 #84809  by brich2929

I think the majority of that cost comes from all of the anti-death penalty people and the intense pressure they put on extending appeals and clemency, etc. The Hollywood establishment has really put a ton of influence and cash into this from time to time.

Yes, we want to be as sure as possible we are putting the right person to death but I agree with one of the above posts-- One appeal and its over. If a lawyer wants to give his time to an inmate so he can have the best representation possible, then so be it, but to have someone on death row for 30 years (Mumia Abu-Jamal, et. al) is stoopid!!!!
 #84819  by Dr. Eastwood

brich2929 wrote:I think the majority of that cost comes from all of the anti-death penalty people and the intense pressure they put on extending appeals and clemency, etc. The Hollywood establishment has really put a ton of influence and cash into this from time to time.

Yes, we want to be as sure as possible we are putting the right person to death but I agree with one of the above posts-- One appeal and its over. If a lawyer wants to give his time to an inmate so he can have the best representation possible, then so be it, but to have someone on death row for 30 years (Mumia Abu-Jamal, et. al) is stoopid!!!!

I have a problem with that. As I said before, it's not uncommon at for those sitting on death row to be exonerated, most often after they've already been executed. I believe they deserve capitol punishment, but do you really want our worthless untrustworthy government running that system?
 #84841  by stephpd

Dr. Eastwood wrote:

but do you really want our worthless untrustworthy government running that system?
Better them then me.
I'd run the system by the motto of 'kill them all and let God sort it out."

And my system would be greatly simplified. Sentenced by a jury of your peers and one appeal you'd be dead the next day.